Work Out Loud: September 19-23—Come Share What You’re Working on/Proud of This Week! 😎

Hi all! :wave: Hope everyone’s having a great week. I know this week’s thread is coming a bit late… it’s been super busy for me since I returned to work on Tuesday after over a week off! So, feel free to use this thread as a way to share things you already worked on that you’re proud of or anything else you might want to share!

This Week’s Featured Tweet:

Moments like this is what makes the open source community so magical. If you were at DrupalCon Prague this past week, what was your favorite session or part of the conference? I’m definitely sad I didn’t get to go this year, but hopefully will in the future! :sparkles:

Now, let’s get right to it! For those of you who are new here: Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. There are no rules here—share whatever you’d like!

Welcome New Members!
Welcome to our newest community members: @Bairdi, @emilie, @doyle, @mhanes, @ezrankings, @MMoniz, @nthangav, @enriquediaz, and @jeffc. We’re so excited to have you here! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :grinning: Let us know where in the world you are! :world_map:

This Week, I Am…
:trophy: Continuing to work on our annual community awards program, the Best in WebOps Awards (formerly the Lightning Awards), and I’m thrilled to share that the teaser landing page for this year’s awards is now up. Learn more, and sign up for email updates, so you can be the first to hear when our submissions open up!

What I am Most Excited About…
:airplane: I’m going to a close friend’s wedding next week in Portugal, which I’m excited albeit a bit nervous about since this will be my first international trip in a while and my first time leaving my dog, Finn, with strangers (he’ll be at a pet boarding facility).

Your turn! See below for a few questions to get you started, and feel free to share as little or as much as you’d like. :point_down:

• What are you working on/what did you work on this week?
  • Do you have any recent big wins you want to share?
  • What are you learning and/or reading right now?
  • Is there anything our community can help you with?

This week, I’m nominating @StevenE, @palmiak, @acroundtree, @ebaker, and @imcgee.hmb (but really, anyone can participate!) to share! Feel free to chime in by clicking “Reply” below, and then, nominate others. :open_hands:

1 Like

It was nice hanging out with the Pantheors this week!

Thats a great image!

1 Like

Hiya :wave:

Last week was my first week back after spending 2 weeks in San Diego for WordCamp US and then just some time off at the beach. I spent a lot of time at the Pantheon booth at WCUS and got to talk to lots of folks and learn more about how the world sees Pantheon and what opportunities we have for communicating our value in the WordPress community.

Upon returning, I updated my notification preferences after some guidance from @vee.vopham on these here forums so that I see posts I’m not directly pinged on and can be more engaged in this community. tl:dr; “ring the bell” as the kids these days say. :older_adult:

Last week
:wordpress: I fixed some bugs, user-reported issues and updated documentation in the new WordPress Composer Managed upstream and got some folks working on it. If you want to try it out, be sure to fill out the form: Pantheon - WordPress Bedrock Composer Upstream Early Access Request

:bug: I also fixed an issue that had been bugging me for a while where the WP Launchcheck WP-CLI plugin would tell you that you need to install the PHP Native Sessions plugin after telling you you already had it installed and active. :tada:

:musical_note: I got to see CHVRCHES live! I’ve been waiting 3 years to see them. I had tickets for a show that was postponed due to COVID, then, they got stuck in the mountains in a snowstorm on their way here and couldn’t make their rescheduled show. They finally came back to an outdoor venue and the concert was everything I hoped it would be. :dancer:

This week
:birthday: This week is my daughter’s 15th birthday. She asked for a murder mystery dinner party, so I found a site that had decent-looking, downloadable kits that we could use. The theme is a Venetian Carnivale. :performing_arts: As a teenager, I remember my parents going to a couple of these and I was never invited. I was always disappointed hearing the stories (and watching the videos they made afterward) and I never had an opportunity to do one as an adult, so this will be as much fun for us as I hope for it to be for her. :grin:

2 Likes

LOVE this!!! Yeah, I was living vicariously through y’all - looked like a blast. Glad you had fun + got to connect with a bunch of folx from the WordPress community. And hope you’re settling back into your work routine nicely… I know I always feel a little off after work travels + need some time to recuperate.

YAY! We love to see it. :hugs:

Too cool! How did this turn out?! I wish my parents did something this fun for me when I was growing up, lol. And happy belated bday to your daughter! :partying_face:

Yesterday was her birthday so we did it last night. The kit we got was from a quick internet search for “muder mystery dinner party” filtering down to things that were downloadable. The one I chose was this masquerade ball/Carnivale-themed one mostly because it was Monday, we were doing it on Wednesday, and we had masquerade masks lying around from a previous masquerade-themed event from NYE last year. My partner & I went to the party store and grabbed some mardi gras-themed party decorations (turns out, there’s not a section for “masquerade ball” but you can cheat and find a lot of similar decor in the mardi gras section :performing_arts: :grin:).

The kit came with a bunch of PDFs and some audio files. Basically, it breaks it down into “rounts” where someone reads the part of an inspector, or you play that round’s audio file. Each round is associated with information you get in a character packet. You don’t know who the murderer is at the beginning, but everyone is assigned a letter and, as the instructions go, one person is supposed to pick one of those letters from a hat and then tell that person that they are the killer. Because I wanted to play, I gave everyone letters and, since there were 4 of us and I have 4-sided dice for D&D, I rolled a d4 where your letter corresponded with 1 - 4 (a = 1, b = 2, etc). I ended up being the killer. In the subsequent rounds, you get prompts/scripts for answering questions/accusations if you are innocent or guilty. By the end, everyone has an opportunity to accuse someone of being the murderer and why they think that. It was pretty obvious that everyone thought I did it. My character was casually cruel about the wellbeing of the victim (although, the victim was a con artist and womanizer, so it wasn’t entirely unwarranted).

It was pretty fun and both our kids said they wanted to do another murder mystery again. It did seem like it would be better with more people than just the 4 of us, but maybe next time we’ll invite more folks. :smiley: