Work Out Loud: September 12-16—Come Share What You’re Working on This Week! 🙌

Hi all! :wave: Hope everyone’s having a great week so far.

This Week’s Featured Tweet:

In case you didn’t get to attend the “Developing Cultural Intelligence” WordCamp US session from Petya Raykovska of Human Made in person, you should definitely check out this live tweet thread from @katie.richards. PS: You can check out a few other WordCamp US session recaps on Pantheon’s Twitter account!

Now, let’s get right to it! For those of you who are new here: Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. There are no rules here—share whatever you’d like!

Welcome New Members!
Welcome to our newest community members: @duuliye, @SteffanyWan, @NISHATNORIN, @lilof35218, @wiwpo, and @tendase. We’re so excited to have you here! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :grinning: Let us know where in the world you are! :world_map:

This Week, I Am…
:trophy: Continuing to work on our annual community awards program, which includes preparing for an internal kickoff call with our CS Team next week, where I’ll get to introduce folx to our new awards program and encourage the team to nominate customers/have their customers submit nominations (soon)!

What I am Most Excited About…
:red_car: Currently in the middle of moving across the country (currently in OH but will be in CO by the end of this week), so I’m just excited for this to be over and for me to be settled in my new place!

Your turn! See below for a few questions to get you started, and feel free to share as little or as much as you’d like. :point_down:

• What are you working on this week?
  • Do you have any recent big wins you want to share?
  • What are you learning and/or reading right now?
  • Is there anything our community can help you with?

This week, I’m nominating @Erorr, @alexsunny123, @andrii.onyshchuk, @KCKinOK, and @jasonlttl (but really, anyone can participate!) to share! Feel free to chime in by clicking “Reply” below, and then, nominate others. :open_hands:

Hi everyone!!

• What are you working on this week?
    I’m in Dublin, Ireland this week!! Wow! I am giving a session at the linux open source summit on accessibility 101… Not much work, more beer drinking and geocaching with work mixed in.

• Do you have any recent big wins you want to share?
    I gave a webinar for the IAAP this week on alt text… almost 300 people attended!! WOW

• What are you learning and/or reading right now?
    I am reading up on Lyme disease and other infectious diseases… (I am still a nurse). It’s intriguing how many people are misdiagnosed with autoimmune disorders and its actually something like tick born disease.

• Is there anything our community can help you with?
    I am curating an article this week for opensource.com. Here’s the prompt

Tech is everywhere! The industry is continually growing, looking for new folks to add valuable perspectives.

What books do you recommend for young programmers?

This can be our future programmers who are still getting tucked in at night and getting books read to as they fall asleep. It can be budding primary school STEM students looking for fabulous projects to dig into during holiday breaks.

Are there any books that inspired you while you were young or just starting in tech?

Happy writing!

1 Like

WOW, you’re keeping busy!!! And oh my goodness, good luck this week at DCEU!!! I know you + @NineLivesBlackCat will rock the panel!!

PS - are you still writing this article? I’d love to share this prompt with the team + see if some Pantheors can share their book recs!

1 Like

Hey @vee.vopham -

YES! I am still looking for answers to that prompt, but to be more specific, “young” means children or school age children vs young programmers out of college.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for clarifying. Just shared in two of our internal Slack channels - will let you know if I hear back from folx, though I also invited folx to reply to you here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Vee for always helping!!

#ThisIsCommunity

1 Like

@volkswagenchick, see below for some book recommendations from Pantheors that I got so far (the first three are def more advanced):

Note, IDK if you plan on including peoples’ names with your article, but if so, I’ll just need people to OK that, since that wasn’t in my initial ask to folx. I’ll share more recs as I get them!!

Thanks!!

If they’d like to be attributed, that’s up to them.

I appreciate you!

1 Like

Sounds good. I’ll confirm with each of them + let you know.

See below for some programming for kiddo book recs from No Starch Press that Pantheor Michelle Colon recommended:

1 Like

So for Weston’s recs, they said that they think the credit should go to some of the people who made these recommendations to them that are far more notable (Steven Gibson, Leo Lelaporte, + others). I’ll let you decide if this works with you… you could maybe write that “these were recommended to a Pantheon employee by notable open source/internet thought leaders, including Steven Gibson + Leo Lelaporte” or something like that.

1 Like

Okay, Sanchita also confirmed she’s OK with not being attributed unless you want to mention others. Going to follow up with Michelle but think it’s fine to not attribute folx, since it seems people are fine without it.

Also, see below for some recs from @katie.richards!

Katie also shared that being a Lego family, all of her kids have spent time with the Lego BOOST setIt involves a minimal amount of coding but is really focused on some of the foundational skills involved in code like logical, sequential thinking, and creative problem solving

1 Like

FYI, Katie is cool with being attributed! And Michelle had asked what will be included, if folx are attributed. I assume just their name, title, company? Is this right, @volkswagenchick? Or just their name?

ideally they would create an account on opensource.com
But, it can linkedin, twitter, company profile page… I am easy going.

1 Like

I’ve made an account on opensource.com! Katie Richards | Opensource.com

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for confirming! Michelle said she doesn’t need to be attributed in the article. :slight_smile:

1 Like