Work Out Loud: October 24-28—Come Share What You’re Working on This Week! 🌟

Hi all! :wave: Hope everyone’s having a great week so far!

This Week’s Featured Tweet:

:eyes: ICYMI: Submissions are now open for our 2022 Best in WebOps Awards! :trophy: If you’re interested in learning more about the awards, visit our website or check out this press release. Submit your nomination here.

Now, let’s get right to it! For those of you who are new here: Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. There are no rules here—share whatever you’d like!

Welcome New Members!
Welcome to our newest community members: @tom and @lindsey.paluso. We’re so excited to have you here! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :grinning: Let us know where in the world you are! :world_map:

This Week, I Am…
:trophy: I am spending a lot of my time continuing to work on finalizing internal/external promotional materials and the judging criteria/next steps for the 2022 Best in WebOps Awards.

What I am Most Excited About…
:mountain: I’m excited to go hiking this weekend! I’ll be going to Rocky Mountain National Park for the first time!

Your turn! See below for a few questions to get you started, and feel free to share as little or as much as you’d like. :point_down:

• What are you working on this week?
  • Do you have any recent big wins you want to share?
  • What are you learning and/or reading right now?
  • Is there anything our community can help you with?

This week, I’m nominating @mcollins, @charm, @ajcowitt, @syedmamun420, @bburch2000, and @Badrul (but really, anyone can participate!) to share! Feel free to chime in by clicking “Reply” below, and then, nominate others. :open_hands:

Hello all! I’m happy to share what I’m working on.

On the serious side, I’ve been concerned about the upcoming EOL of PHP 7.4. To that end, I’ve been trying to assess my website’s compatibility with PHP 8.1. This week I began learning about and using PHPStan to evaluate my custom Drupal modules. This led me into a deep dive into Dependency Injection (which I still am having a difficult time groking) so that I could clear up some of the PHPStan error reports.

On the fun side, I’ve added a little seasonal flair to the website I manage. You can see it by going to https://library.cumc.columbia.edu and scrolling to the footer.

I hope everyone is enjoying autumn.

1 Like

Hi, @ap2963! Happy Thursday/Friday-eve! Thanks for sharing what you’re working on. And let me tag in our Dev Advocates (@JohnRichardsII @NineLivesBlackCat @jose.castaneda) in case they have any thoughts on the EOL of PHP 7.4. I’ve also shared your concern internally to see if other Pantheon employees can chime in on this!

And I do want to say that I LOVE the festive footer on the Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library website. :leaves: :heart_eyes: Awesome work! I love the fall/sweater weather as well!

1 Like

Hi again, @ap2963! I wanted to circle back to your comment + confirm that Pantheon will not require customers to upgrade from PHP 7.4 to PHP 8 on the EOL date (11/28). Although we encourage you + all customers to upgrade your sites to PHP 8 after or before 7.4 officially goes EOL, PHP 7.4 will continue to be available on the Pantheon Platform. You can learn more about this in this blog post or in this Talking Drupal episode, where Pantheon Developer Advocate, @NineLivesBlackCat, talks more about PHP 7.4 EOL + how to prepare.

@vee.vopham thanks for the followup. I am looking forward to moving up to PHP8.1, I just need to make sure my website’s code (especially all the custom modules I’ve added) are ready.

1 Like