Pantheon Community

Work Out Loud: November 30 - December 6, 2020

Welcome to Work Out Loud , a weekly thread where we share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re cookin up…whether it’s food or a cool new project. :laughing:

Welcome!
Welcome to our newest community members: @jesses, @sergiuteaca, @stooni, @priyanka123, @seshuen, @kftc01, @oeroglu, @jherndon, @psingh10, @scottsoapbox, @MutantMahesh, @gsiemens, @jakubmroz, @sofa-dev, @LilPimpn86, @malayappan, @wizonesolutions, @ATEF11, @mlema & @schlessera! Thank you for joining our community! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread. :smile:

Who’s here for Gift of Open Source? :wordpress: :drupal:

This week, I am…
:turkey: Still feeling grateful for my health and family!

:gift: GIFT OF OPEN SOURCE STARTS TOMORROW! I’m hyped to make my own contributions and to help all y’all get started giving back to WordPress and Drupal. Jump in our thread if you have suggestions for how to contribute!

:eu: Preparations continue for DrupalCon Europe!

Learning
About the Drupal Bugsmash initiative Even after years of being a mentor, there’s still a lot to learn and these folks are doing awesome stuff.

Your turn! Here are a few questions to get you started:

• What are you working on this week?
  • What is motivating (or demotivating) you this week?
  • What are you learning?
  • Any good videos/podcasts/articles you can recommend?

I nominate @dgorton, @McKennaR, @mmlc & @JohnRichardsII!

2 Likes

Thanks! Personally looking forward to catching up on the open/needs review issue queues in my drupal.org modules.

3 Likes

:wave:t3: hey friends, happy back-to-the-grind-hope-you-rested-monday!

:sparkles: what are you working on this week

Definitely too many things! I’m working on prepping for Week 2 of our Gift of Open Source event, supporting our Decoupled Bridge efforts, have a backlog of github issues (including some test failures I need to investigate), and DrupalConEU planning/session prep. :open_hands: Send strength, it’s going to be a really long week!

:sparkles: what is motivating (or demotivating) you this week?

I wish I got more done over the long weekend, but I also needed to prioritize the “do nothing” and resting backlog because I was super burnt out and exhausted (despite the short week last week).

I’m looking forward to a facetime with a friend tonight and a scheduled catch-up with my best friend (haven’t spoken to her in weeks!) tomorrow :gift_heart:. There’s also a game night on friday so I just have to make it haha! :raised_hands:

All that being said, I’m grateful for my team and fortunate to work with some really awesome people. I’ve definitely felt overwhelmed these past few weeks despite the time off, but I do love my team and I’m grateful for them! :two_hearts:

:sparkles: what are you learning

I’ve been brushing up on my korean using a really fun/weird app called Teuda which puts you in these IRL video scenarios, prompts you to respond, and checks your pronunciations. It’s great for practicing and is helping a lot with my grammar fluency (never studied Korean, just picked it up in immersion so my grammar isn’t great). I’m also actively trying to make time for Yaqeen Academy (religious/Islamic mini lectures).

:sparkles: any good videos/podcasts/articles you can recommend?

A good friend of mine just started Chai Talk -the first bite sized episode is about Minimalism and has definitely got me thinking twice about the sales emails in my inbox and buying things this week.

2 Likes

You got this @fatima.khalid! I’m sorry it’s such a busy week. So important to just rest and recharge. Let me know if I can help out with anything! :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Woohoo! Feel free to drop links or request for help in our slack channel or here in the forum, too!

2 Likes

Happy new week, everyone!

I’m wrapping up a few last details for our first two new contributors workshops with @volkswagenchick on this Friday (posted about it here with more details). I’m SO excited AmyJune is going to walk those of us who are new contributors (Me! It’s me!) through the process of giving back so I don’t need to go at it alone :smiley:

I’m also managing multiple homeschooling kids (we’re learning about Canada and the Inuit people this week) and doing as much as I can to help move a giant home renovation project forward (winter is so close and we’re really looking forward to having more space to spread out in our home).

2 Likes

Welcome new community members! :wave: :heart:

This week I am…

• Making sure we are all set for Gift of Open Source :gift: For those that don’t know–this is our very first, free community event. Open to open source enthusiasts from all backgrounds & skill levels!
  • Recording a 30 second video for DrupalCon Europe :camera_flash:
  • Prepping for my very first session EVER at DrupalCon Europe :crossed_fingers:

This week I am learning…

• How to make higher quality videos [thanks @david.needham for your expertise! :heart:]
  • How to make my first real contribution :clap:

Other…

• I am super excited to head back east for a few weeks to be with my family & celebrate my sister turning 30! :birthday:

I nominate @omarmuhyar, @elishafeliciano & @ashleynoda to share what they are working on/most excited for this week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@McKennaR wohoo :tada: super hyped for your first EVER DrupalCon Session :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Thanks friend!! Same here! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the Teuda link. I keep debating on if I should try and get back in to learning Korean. Speaking is always terrifying to me so I like the idea that it starts you out embracing speaking.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! It was rough to get back to work this week as I really enjoyed the (small) time off with family for Thanksgiving, but, it’s Friday and I actually had a pretty productive week!

Working on: OAuth login for Drupal with one of our eCommerce vendors. And it works! :white_check_mark:

Motivating: One of our new developers on our team showed off a new framework he’s been working on that will make building our sites way faster. :house:

Learning: Trying to get a more sour sourdough - so this weekend, I’ll put in place some new tricks to see if I can get that bread extra-sour! :bread:

Recommendations: Just finished up Agent Carter the other week and very sad it was canceled as I really enjoyed that show. If anyone likes the MCU and hasn’t seen Agent Carter, give it a try. :superhero:

Motivating : One of our new developers on our team showed off a new framework he’s been working on that will make building our sites way faster. :house:

ooooh my interest is piqued! I’d love to hear more if you’re up to share.

Unfortunately, for the moment, the framework is an internal thing. That may change at some point, as I’m always interested in bringing more to the community!

It’s essentially a way to reuse components created in PatternLab with Drupal Paragraphs but with some twists to help create different versions faster via yml files and such. It’s a neat approach and, like I said, hopefully bring it to the open source community at some point. It’s still early in development at the moment.

2 Likes

That sounds really cool! :heart_eyes: