Work Out Loud: November 28-December 2—Come Share What You’re Working on This Week! 🤓

Hi all! :wave: Hope everyone’s having a great week so far!

This Week’s Featured Tweet:

ICYMI: Jared Seltzer (@Jared), Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer of Rad Campaign, is our Community Champion of the Month for November 2022. Read our forum announcement to learn more about Jared and the impact he’s making in our community and in open source.

Now, let’s get right to it! For those of you who are new here: Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. There are no rules here—share whatever you’d like!

Welcome New Members!
Welcome to our newest community members: @stevencis, @m_yurchenko, @mahdiware, and @palmerjo. We’re so excited to have you here! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :grinning: Let us know where in the world you are! :world_map:

This Week, I Am…
:trophy: Working on various internal presentations and with the team to finalize judges announcement materials for Pantheon’s 2022 Best in WebOps Awards (expect a formal announcement later this week)! Submissions for the awards are NOW OPEN! Apply to the awards here.

What I am Most Excited About…
:person_getting_massage: I’m excited to relax this upcoming weekend after an eventful past few weeks (because of work and the holidays)!

Your turn! See below for a few questions to get you started, and feel free to share as little or as much as you’d like. :point_down:

• What are you working on this week?
  • Do you have any recent big wins you want to share?
  • What are you learning and/or reading right now?
  • Is there anything our community can help you with?

This week, I’m nominating @doxomo, @tcw026, @johndgraham, @elicodecov, @frank.mullings, and @aries185 (but really, anyone can participate!) to share! Feel free to chime in by clicking “Reply” below, and then, nominate others. :open_hands:

This week I am preparing my 2 Pantheon websites to upgrade from PHP 7.4 to PHP 8.1. Lots of updates, testing, patching, etc. But so far everything is going well. It was very easy to update and deploy the configuration change for my Dev and Test instances.

I have also been taking a look at Mastodon (for the second time; first time was many years ago). I feel like there should be a Drupal Mastodon server in the same way that there is a Drupal Slack.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing what you’ve been working on, Aaron! Glad to hear that it’s been easy for you to update/deploy the configuration change for your Dev + Test Envs!

I’ve also been looking at Mastodon as I’m unsure what’s happening with Twitter. Have you been using it? What’s your experience been so far? I’ve heard mixed reviews but heard that it’s not super user-friendly in some regards.

Re: Mastodon. As a UI/UX practitioner, I would love to have a conversation with some folks about, or be a fly on the wall during user testing of Mastodon. I feel like some of the complaints about Mastodon are a result of the fact that it’s not Twitter. I’m sure there are some real UX issues, but I’m curious where the split is.

Mastodon feels to me like a cross between Twitter, Discord, and Slack, and it has some of the soul of Web3 (it’s decentralized). Many of the servers in the Mastodon federation have a particular interest area (front-end, ux, tech, etc.). It feels very tech focused right now because it’s the tech-y people who are first to embrace it. In that way it works for me because my interest in microblogging is in a professional capacity: to learn and share information about the work that I do and engage with the developer community.

1 Like

Ah ok, good to know! Yeah, I’ve also heard people compare it to Twitter, Discord, + Slack. The platform being decentralized + open source seems like a really cool concept to me. Like, Mastodon servers are run by its users, not by a corporate entity like other existing social media sites, e.g., Twitter, Facebook, etc. And every server host can make their own rules… I’m looking forward to exploring the platform + see what the UX/UI is like. Think I’ll download it this week… a lot of my connections, mostly those working in tech/marketing, are already on there, but I don’t think many of them have completely abandoned Twitter + adopted Mastodon yet.