Pantheon Community

Work Out Loud: Nov 8-12

Hey friends! :wave: I’l thrilled to be kicking off this week’s Work Out Loud thread!

For those of you who are new here – Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. No rules here, share whatever you would like!

Welcome New Members!
Welcome to our newest community members: @malik.kotob, @rmckinney, @ajcowitt, @ctlopez-PFG, @cyril. We are so excited to have you here! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :smiley: Let us know where in the world you are! :world_map:

This week, I am…

:gift: I have a few bigger projects and collaborations for Gift of Open Source 2021 on my plate this week. I had never contributed to an open source project before last year’s event and I’m excited for what this year has in store for everyone!

:mag: I’m planning a fun virtual social event for our Heroes in December. Do you love Pantheon and love helping others? You should check out Pantheon’s advocacy program and join us!

This Week I am Excited For…

:sun_with_face: The sun has been shining in the Midwest for the last few days and it’s been astonishingly warm. Cold weather is coming so I’m trying to soak up as much vitamin D as possible!

Your turn! Here are a few questions to get you started :point_down:

• What are you working on this week?
  • Do you have any big wins you want to share? Anything you would like us to call out on Bolts n Bytes on Thursday morning at 9AM PST?
  • What projects are you working on this week?
  • Is there anything our community can help you with? Help support you?
  • What are you learning right now?
  • Any upcoming travel plans you are super excited to share?

This week I am nominating @StepSchwarz @monicadear @birgit.pauli @jrearick-pfg

1 Like

I am late here, but hey a mid-week checkin doesn’t seem like a terrible idea! :partying_face:

I am SO excited for this Heroes social event @katie.richards it’s going to be grand! :clap:

THIS WEEK…

:gift: I am also working on all the things for the Gift of Open Source! Including locking down the awesome swag bags + tech gadgets for our awesome 12 days of giving social giveaway starting Dec. 1st!!

:new: We have a new team member starting in a few weeks! You will all get to meet him very soon! I know Katie + I are pumped about this!!

:airplane: The holidays are right around the corner! I am taking the entire week off for Thanksgiving and I could not be more excited to spend quality time with my mom! :heart:

:house: MOVNG! Sadly not into my dream home, just an apartment. But hey it’s a stepping stone! Anyone else competing in this crazy market?!

I nominate @omarmuhyar @guy.elsmore-paddock @AmandaK @volkswagenchick to share :slight_smile:

:wave:

This week is a short week for me. I celebrated my birthday on Monday (or, at least, observed my birthday and mostly celebrated over the weekend) and I am looking forward to a long weekend taking Friday off and heading down to Vegas and Valley of Fire to see the sun again.

This week…

:busts_in_silhouette: I am working on and learning about personalization stuff and applying what I know into a new context.

:musical_score: I’m also looking at some of the WordPress integrated composer discovery work that has been done already on the CMS Eco team and trying to reproduce what’s been documented internally.

:sun_with_face: I helped to get Solr8 for Drupal across the line by writing some automated tests and I’ve been reviewing updates to the test suite.

🪵 Currently learning about Varnish Configuration Language

2 Likes

Ohhhhhh Valley of the Fire looks rad! :mount_fuji: I need to add that to my list! I am a big fan of anything and everything outdoors – especially trekking through both state + national parks! :evergreen_tree: Please share lots of photos so I can live through you!

Also HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY again :partying_face: I may be bias but I am pretty sure November babies are the best!

Can confirm Valley of Fire is, in fact, rad. I generally post pics on my insta – you can find some of past trips to VoF (as well as other nonsense :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

YESSS!! I am going to check them out! Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey all! I’m normally pretty quiet here but since I’ve been nominated…

THIS WEEK…

• :up: I am working on Drupal 9 upgrades! Specifically, my team at Inveniem is working on upgrades for thorny projects we use on our internal platform, like External Entities and Markdown.
  • :checkered_flag: As for big wins, our team is growing! We have a new team member in charge of DevOps and growing our IT capabilities, and we also just hired additional QA team members. We are growing more, better, stronger, and faster!
  • :loudspeaker: As far as projects we’re working on that could use help – we just started on an internal project called “Transactional Bulk Editing” that we are going to be making into a Drupal contrib community project. The elevator pitch is that we’re bringing two major features of Jira to Drupal so we can efficiently locate and update content/nodes in bulk. Specifically:
    1. We’re introducing a Jira Query Language-like (JQL) syntax called Search Queries (SQ) that would provide advanced users with the ability to search for content on a Drupal site – similar, in a way, to Views except that it’s intended for regular users rather than site builders. So, for example, if you needed to locate content created yesterday that has a “Format” of “Photograph” and an author of the current user, we envision you being able to perform an SQ search like created > startOfDay(-1) AND created < endOfDay(-1) AND field_format = "Photograph" AND author = currentUid().
    2. We’re introducing the ability to apply edits to the fields of records that match SQ in a way that works with Drupal revisioning AND allows the edits to be “rolled back”. So, imagine you have a large database of 3,000 items, you want to locate all “Photographs” and “Videos” that have a certain taxonomy term, and then update them all to be tagged with an additional taxonomy term – you can write an SQ query to find the content, specify the new tag to be added, and then execute the whole thing in one big batch operation. Then, if you make a mistake (maybe you updated the wrong records), you can roll it back. Hence, the edits are “transactional” because all the edits being made are part of one larger operation (like a bank transaction or database transaction) that is committed all at once but can be undone later.
  • :mortar_board: We’re learning how to run unit and Drupal functional tests locally with Lando, since right now we’ve only been able to run them during CI and that takes forever!
  • :airplane: I am planning to travel with new members of my team to New Jersey to launch a new office.
1 Like

Hey guy! :wave:

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you’ve got some busy weeks ahead. But surely all exciting things :partying_face: Congrats on growing your team + launching a new office, that is super exciting! Where will your new office in NJ be? I used to live in Weehawken and Brooklyn, so I am familiar with the area. Miss the city all the time actually!

Alsooooo…

What an exciting project!! Did you know we are looking for projects that have open issues for documentation, code, testing, or project management to highlight for our annual community event, the Gift of Open Source coming up in December? No pressure at all, but if you’re interested in including your project in our suggested list, please shoot us an email community@pantheon.io. Regardless, please keep us posted + I will of course share this with some of our awesome dev advocated too!

We’ll be setting up in Newark, NJ, right outside NYC.

For TBE, I very much would like to include it in the GoOS, but want to make sure our architectural roadmap is further along before inviting outside contributors. We’re laying down some groundwork right now this sprint but we might be in good shape by 12/1 to invite others in on our party.

1 Like

That’s a great location! Not too far from the city either :slight_smile:

And that sounds great! No pressure at all of course, but we can always highlight it mid-challenge as well. Either way, good luck on the big project!