Work Out Loud: March 7-11

Hi everyone! :wave: I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and is having a great week so far. :raised_hands: I’m currently in San Francisco working out of Pantheon’s HQ and am loving the space and people here. I’m feeling super energized and inspired by just being in this space!

This Week’s Featured Tweet:

Are there any other concepts you would add to the above list? Or, do you have a javascript or other programming tip? Share them below in the comments!

Now, let’s get right to it! For those of you who are new here: Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. There are no rules here—share whatever you’d like!

Welcome New Members!
Welcome to our newest community members:@Mkal88, @theokeen, and @zivjonathan. We’re so excited to have you here! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :grinning: Let us know where in the world you are! :world_map:

This Week, I Am…
:bulb: Rethinking some of our existing programs! If there’s an online space/channel that you’d like Pantheon to use, e.g., Twitter Spaces, let me know! Or, also let me know if you want more of a specific kind of content, e.g., tips in video format.

:broom: Continuing to clean up our community spaces and working on identifying a list of things we can work on now to improve your the experience in our community spaces (Forum and Slack). If you’re a part of any communities where you really enjoy the user experience, please let me know what communities they are and what you like about them! Our team is open to any and all suggestions.

What I am Most Excited About…
:ocean: As I mentioned earlier, I’m in the Bay Area this week and have the next few days off, so I’m excited to explore more of the Bay Area and California this week! Yesterday, I drove down the coast to Pescadero State Beach and plan on going to Yosemite later this week, as well as maybe another beach! If you have any recommendations on anything I need to do in the Bay Area, let me know. I’d particularly love coffee, food, and hiking recommendations!

Your turn! See below for a few questions to get you started. :point_down:

• What are you working on this week?
  • Do you have any recent big wins you want to share?
  • What are you learning and/or reading right now?
  • Is there anything our community can help you with?

This week, I’m nominating @jnettik, @hcawselwm, @jamesrice, @fortafy, and @greggles (but really, anyone can participate!) to share! Feel free to chime in by clicking “Reply” below, and then, nominate others. :open_hands:

P.S. If you’re planning on or interested in attending DrupalCon, let us know below! A lot of our team is going and would love to see you!

Hi @vee.vopham! Sounds like a fun week exploring the area - there are so many great spots to explore. Not sure if you’re able to get a little more north where I’m at, but there are some great hiking spots at Point Reyes National Seashore and further up Armstrong Woods. Nice thing about each is there are little towns around them that dot the area that are also fun to explore - Point Reyes Station, Guerneville, Sebastopol, and others - all have great food and such. If you’d like any specific restaurant recommendations, let me know.

This week I’m tackling a project to add a rating system to Drupal. It’s… challenging as I thought the modules that I found on drupal.org were going to work for us, but so far it has been very tricky setting it up for our needs. But, I’ll press on - I’ll get this!

At home, I made an interesting artichoke galette - sort of like a quiche? It was really tasty but I’m biased as I love artichokes.

Hope everyone has a great week!

1 Like

Hey @vee.vopham Welcome to my neck of the woods!!

I echo @CodeChefMarc about Armstrong Woods and Sebastopol (those were the stomping grounds of my youth) - that is one of my most favorite places on the planet! Tons of mushrooms everywhere!

This week I am helping mentor the Discover Drupal students contribute to the Project Browser Initiative.

I am reading “Dandelion Wine” (again) - I love this as my intro to summer, its currently 63 outside my window at 9:24 AM.

2 Likes

Ooooh, thanks for the rec, @CodeChefMarc! I’ll definitely try to hit up Point Reyes National Seashore (and Armstrong Woods if I can!). I’ll be closer to that area later today and through later this week (currently in San Jose but moving to an Airbnb in Oakland later today). I also totally didn’t realize San Jose is a bit of a trek from SF/Oakland lol! As for restaurants, I love and am currently craving Spanish, Mexican, Italian, and Thai, so recs for any of the above would be super appreciated! Also, if you drink coffee or tea and have a particular cafe/place you love, let me know! :slightly_smiling_face:

And good luck with adding the Drupal rating system. I’m curious what this would be for - what kind of content could you rate with the system? For example, I picture a comment and rating system on a blog. Also, if you need help, I’d try posting in our Community Slack #drupal channel, and I can also ask around and see if anyone has done this in Drupal!

Oh wow, yes, this sounds awesome and beautiful! Just searched up pics, too. :heart_eyes: Will definitely try to visit Armstrong Woods and Sebastopol, as they’re not too far away.

And your week sounds busy but rewarding and fun! Hope you can make some time to rest and relax too, though I guess that’s what the book is for! That’s definitely what I might try to do later too…catch up some reading on the beach!

I just looked up a fantastic Mexican restaurant I used to go to all the time in Guerneville but it’s gone! So sad! But, the coffee shop I like there is still around, Coffee Bazaar. There are some great places in Sebastopol like Taylor Lane Coffee, Screamin’ Mimi’s for fascinating ice cream, and Hopmonk Tavern for really good pub food and local beer selections. Near Point Reyes, there’s a wood-fired pizza joint called Cafe Reyes that is quite good. I hope some of those help!

Thanks for the comments about the rating system. I figured it out! I ended up not using the contrib modules I found but instead relied on the Drupal commenting system and just added some fields in there and it allows logged in users to comment and rate a node, then, I am using views to do reporting/search/sort/filtering for the ratings and such so they can see what kind of ratings they are getting per node. It works pretty well, actually!

1 Like

I never read the actual book “Dandelion Wine” but I listened to a bunch of Ray Bradbury’s stories that he read himself and one of the short stories was that title… I listened to this when I was a kid and loved every minute of it: Ray Bradbury 1979 Fantastic Tales of Ray Bradbury Bradbury Audiobook - YouTube I simply adore Ray Bradbury - though can be a bit dark at times, I really enjoy his style of writing as it engages me.

2 Likes

I went to Santa Cruz on Tuesday and up to Yosemite on Wednesday so didn’t have much time in between this time… So sadly, I didn’t get to go to the places you recommended, but I’m bookmarking these recs for next time! I also might move to CA later this year, so will keep you all posted! This was my third time visiting the Bay Area, and I fall more in love with the area with every visit. There’s SO much to do and explore, and the PEOPLE really make the area so great. Everyone is so nice, welcoming, and down-to-earth. Literally every Lyft driver and person I talked to for more than five minutes told me I should move there, hah.

Yay! So glad this worked out.