Work Out Loud: January 31-February 4

Happy Monday everyone! :wave: I hope you all had a nice, restful weekend. :raised_hands:

I recently stumbled upon a tweet by Cory House, Founder of ReactJS Consulting, that I thought may resonate with you all and thought I’d share it here. Anyone else engage in the same or a similar practice for reviewing code? I honestly think this practice could be applied in many other instances as well to share feedback to creators/authors. And in case anyone is unaware, “nit” is short for “nitpick.”

For those of you who are new here: Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. There are no rules here—share whatever you’d like!

Welcome New Members!
Welcome to our newest community members: @david, @cathibosco, @hubbardr, @linh, @brianperry, @alexsunny123, and @Justina. We’re so excited to have you here! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :grinning: Let us know where in the world you are! :world_map:

This Week, I Am…
:writing_hand: Prepping for our upcoming WebOps Wednesday AMAs, which are text-based and occur on our Community Forum here.

:microscope: Continuing to look into specific community advocacy management system options and determining other ways we can improve our own community advocacy program (Pantheon’s Heroes Advocacy Program). Our team has a few discovery calls and demos scheduled for this and next week.

:handshake: Starting to meet with other internal teams, including Product, to discuss ways we can better support one another. I also wanted to meet with the Product Team, so they can share feedback and help brainstorm ways we can improve our online community spaces and to ensure they’re aware of all product-related channels in our Community Slack and Forum.

What I am Most Excited About…
:airplane: I’m excited to start planning for my trip to Orlando, FL next month for Florida DrupalCamp. If you’re planning on attending and want to connect, let me know! I look forward to seeing some of you there.

Your turn! See below for a few questions to get you started. :point_down:

• What are you working on this week?
  • Do you have any recent big wins you want to share?
  • What are you learning and/or reading right now?
  • Is there anything our community can help you with?
  • Do you have any upcoming travel plans you’re super excited to share?

This week, I’m nominating @kuldeep_m, @Paulsmith, @vreemt, @Jeana, @rmckinney, and @tomw36 (but really, anyone can participate!) to share! Feel free to chime in by clicking “Reply” below, and then, nominate others. :open_hands:

:loudspeaker: ICYMI: The first episode of season two of our Bolts n Bytes webcast, featuring my amazing colleagues, @NineLivesBlackCat, @JohnRichardsII, @jose.castaneda, and @chris.reynolds, dropped last week. Watch it here!

2 Likes

I saw that tweet, too!

I’ve seen and used it in practice and actually seeing the tweet reminded me to do it in code review feedback that I wrote not long after. I also like the trick of using :1234: to indicate that “this comment applies to all occurrences of this thing” as opposed to, for example, having 5 code review comments that all say “this string should be internationalized”.

This week I am…

:man_technologist: Working on WordPress Edge Integrations/Personalization tools.

:spider_web: Updating my personal site to WordPress 5.9 and trying out block themes. I wrote a quick Twenty Twenty-Two child theme that I used during my research and testing of WordPress 5.9 leading to the Bolts 'n Bytes show and the blog post I wrote about it and I plan on actually using that and tweaking the color palette. I’m thinking dark grey/black and yellow… :thinking::zap:

:dragon: Always preparing for the next D&D session. Last week was largely a big fight with a bunch of animated chairs (mimics in D&D parlance) that ended up in the escape of an evil hag and a very cute and very singed baby dragon and an explosion that blew open a wall. This week will start with the party weakened from the fight with animated tin soldiers on their way.

What I’m most excited about…
:beach_umbrella: My partner and I just booked tickets, hotel and rental car for an anniversary trip to Maui at the end of April/beginning of May. We’re celebrating 20 years of marriage this year. We really wanted to go somewhere international (I’ve been eyeing this amazing location in Bali for over a year), but looking at travel restrictions and it doesn’t look like Indonesia would let us in, so that will need to wait until after the pandemic cools down. (After going on an Alaska cruise with Lindblad Expeditions/National Geographic over the summer, I’ve also had my eyes on similar adventure-type cruises with them to warmer climes like Baja California and the Galápagos islands.)

1 Like

Love this! Sounds very practical and useful and that would save a lot of time, for both the reviewer and author of the code.

Is this your personal site? I really like the theme now and how it’s structured with the slider. But I like the idea of a dark grey/black and yellow color palette. Working at Pantheon probably made me biased because I totally think yellow and black complement each other, hah.

WOW, congrats on 20 years! That’s amazing. You’ll definitely need to share pics of Maui after… I know a few people who have been recently and loved it. I’m dying to go out hopefully in the near future. But I’d also want to do some international travel… my cousin and I are attempting to plan a Europe trip for this summer. Hopefully, COVID doesn’t get in the way… :smiling_face_with_tear: :sob: Hoping you and your partner can also head to Bali soonish too, maybe at least in 2023?!

That’s one of them. That’s more my sort of professional profile site. That one uses a cool plugin that a former coworder of mine wrote called story|ftw which basically lets you make a presentation inside WordPress.

This is my blog and space for all sorts of random stuff.

Yeah, it’s a not-so-subtle nod to Pantheon. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:smiley: Thanks! It for sure doesn’t feel that long.

Me toooo! :sob: I went to Sri Lanka with for a company retreat at my last job and we were supposed to go to Greece when the pandemic hit and that’s pretty much put a hold on most of our travel plans since. We had the flights booked and everything. I’m definitely eager to head back to Southeast Asia, it’s so beautiful there.

1 Like

Oh nice, it’s super neat!

Love it. I love minimalist site designs like this. It’s very clean and well organized.

Aw, well I’m glad you’re at least taking a well-deserved vacation/celebrating your anniversary with a fun trip soon…and maybe, you can just plan an international trip and get tickets super early (like now?!)…and worry about it later when you need to! Lol!

2 Likes

“Minimalist site design” = too lazy for a more elaborate site design. At one point, I was more ambitious. My site used to look like this once upon a time:

2 Likes

I am looking forward to meeting and hanging out in Florida @vee.vopham !! With you and the whole team!

This week I am…

• Getting ready for Florida DrupalCamp. I am helping with the Getting Started with Drupal Pantheon workshop with @NineLivesBlackCat . Giving a session on slideshow accessibility… and of course running around organizing all the things.

• I am writing a couple of articles for Opensource.com. I did an accessibility audit of our new D8/9 site and used open source tools, so I want to share my learning curve with the world. I also used Backstop.js recently on a site when I did some updates and would love for folks to know how easy it is.

For fun we just bought a few concert tickets for spring tours, doing some traveling.

3 Likes

Lol! Though, I think there are pros and cons to both, and I mean, your current site design works and serves its purpose. I do like how your site used to look too, but wow, it’s a lot more intricate and probably took a lot more time to put together. :laughing: I’m also laughing at your tags section and that “computer woes” was one of your most frequently used tags. :rofl: :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Same! Super excited to see you and be able to connect with everyone in person. This is my first flight/bigish trip since the pandemic hit, so I’m excited to get out! lol

Love this! So, the articles will also detail your audit process/lessons learned re: website accessibility? Please share them when they’re up! Would love to share them around with our community and Pantheon staff. :slightly_smiling_face: :partying_face:

So fun! Will you plan to be in these places for a few days? I haven’t been to San Diego but love Monterey and used to live in Denver. Are you from CO? I didn’t realize! I definitely miss it at times and being so close to the mountains…

1 Like

Is it a surprise that this aligned with the time when I was still using Windows? :thinking:

2 Likes

LOL! I’m glad you made the switch. Once you go Mac, you’ll never want to go back! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I will definitely share the articles with the community. I never used some of the open source tools before so there was a learning curve and if I can help the next person – all the better!

I live just east of Monterey, so it’s a quick jaunt. San Diego is worth a visit, so many cool things to do and almost always warm!! Denver is one of my fav places to visit, I go 2-3 times year.

2 Likes