Pantheon Community

Work Out Loud: January 3-7

Hi Pantheon community members! :wave: Happy New Year! I hope everyone’s having a great start to their year so far.

For me, 2022 has been going well so far. It’s been rather chilly where I am, in the metro DC area. It even snowed here on Monday! See below for a pic I took of my dog, Finn, in the snow. It was so cute watching him run around in the snow—he totally had a blast!

For those of you who are new here: Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. There are no rules here—share whatever you’d like!

Welcome New Members!
Welcome to our newest community members: @streamlinemyrei @ziaurzia @gilem. We’re so excited to have you here! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :grinning: Let us know where in the world you are! :world_map:

This week, I am…
:e-mail: Catching up on emails, Slacks, and other messages! I’m playing a bit of catch up today and this week, since I was out the past several days because of New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. I’m sure many of you are in the same boat!

:gift: Debriefing with the team on the Gift of Open Source and seeing how we can improve upon the program for this upcoming year! Thanks so much to everyone who participated. We’ll publish a more formal announcement soon with an update on total 2021 registrations and contributions.

​​📝 Combing through our 2021 Community Survey results! Thanks to everyone who submitted survey responses. We’re excited to utilize your feedback to improve your Pantheon community experience. Stay tuned!

What I am Most Excited About…
:spiral_calendar: I’m thrilled to dive into 2022 community programming. I’m really looking forward to working with the team to plan more programming that you all are truly excited about, and I’ll also proactively try to support the logistics and planning for any upcoming events that we already have underway, in any way I can.

:goal_net: I’m also excited about individual goal-setting (for the year), which includes both my professional goals at Pantheon and my personal goals. Personal goals include reading more (already have a few books I’m planning to read this and next week!), setting time to learn and practice languages (trying to improve my Vietnamese and learn German), and honing my baking skills (I’m going to try to make bread and bagels soon).

Your turn! See below for a few questions to get you started. :point_down:

• What is one thing from 2021 you will carry with you into this New Year?
  • What is one thing that you want to leave in 2021?
  • What is one thing you are looking forward to in 2022?
  • What are you working on this week?
  • Is there anything our community can help you with?

FYI, I took the first three questions above from a recent post by Jenny Weigle of the All-Things-Community Substack newsletter (thanks @katie.richards for recommending the article!).

This week, I’m nominating @McKennaR @katie.richards @NineLivesBlackCat @jose.castaneda @JohnRichardsII @Scott @DarkteK @mollypresley @james.williams @ATEF11 (but really, anyone can participate!) to share! Feel free to chime in by clicking “Reply” below, and then, nominate others. :open_hands:

3 Likes

Happy New Year, @vee.vopham! :fireworks:

I’ve had the advantage of knowing your first three questions in advance and having some extra time to think about them.

What is one thing from 2021 you will carry with you into this New Year?
I have learned a lot over the last year (two, actually) about controlling what is within my power to control and letting go of the worry and anxiety over things outside of my control that will only slow me down. I’m not an expert yet but it’s one of my personal silver linings of the pandemic.

What is one thing you want to leave in 2021?
Self-doubt and underselling my unique skills

What is one thing you are looking forward to in 2022?
I’m partway though a fantastic book about American residential architecture that is absolutely fascinating. I’m excited to dig into this new-ish hobby.

I’d love to hear your answers to those questions too!

2 Likes

Happy New year!

OMGosh, I am still sifting through emails from break and it’s Thursday!! SO. Many. Emails.

Pluggin away working on FLroida Drupal Camp and SFDUG… busy busy busy…

Awkward socially distanced hugs at events?? How? What? I dunno. But I miss everyone

4 Likes

Awkward socially distanced hugs at events?? How? What? I dunno. But I miss everyone

:arrow_up: ALL OF THIS! I am also wondering how we make this happen. Because I also miss being around people!

1 Like

Thanks for the nomination @vee.vopham!

I love how you are being so intentional about setting both personal and professional goals. I am also doing the same this week :slight_smile:

Speaking of this week…what a whirlwind! :tornado: Outside of attending CKO (our annual customer organization event for those of you who aren’t familiar with the acronym) I have been combing through lots of emails + over-due Asana tasks. Did someone say personal assistant? I’ll take one! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

One thing I would like to leave behind in 2021 is…

Covid. :sneezing_face:A girl can dream right!? Oh and also bad eating habits, since I have definitely made a few poor choices last year.

From a professional standpoint, getting to work alongside @katie.richards @vee.vopham @NineLivesBlackCat @jose.castaneda @JohnRichardsII + our new leader Sanchita! :heart: I started to comb through all of the wonderful comments we received on our 2021 Community Survey this afternoon and it made me really excited! Excited to bring the community more meaningful conversations, programs and ways to collaborate with our team and other members.

From a personal standpoint, spending the summer with my mom in Austin :sun_behind_large_cloud: Some of you may already know this, but last year was very challenging for me. My mom was placed on Hospice care + relocated to Austin to live with my older sister and her husband. I have my good days + bad days, thats for sure. But I am blessed she is still here with me :heavy_heart_exclamation: And I am praying she sticks around for the summer so I can spend more quality time with her.

I nominate @gravelpot @hallienew @KurtTrowbridge to share :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for tagging me in, McKenna. I’m so glad you got meaningful time with your mom last year and hope you get more of it this year. I’m sorry you’re navigating that during an already trying time. Sending big hugs!

One thing I would like to leave behind in 2021 is…
amen to covid.
I’d love to shed the heaviness from these past few years in whatever ways I can!

I’m looking forward to going deeper in my community, building connections, challenging myself with my knitting :yarn:. In 2021 I finally learned how to make a sweater and now I can’t stop!

As a parent of a toddler, raising her in a pandemic with so much uncertainty, having a strong community around me has been crucial to surviving this. I’m proud of myself for knowing when to ask for help and being able to support my friends and neighbors as well. I can’t wait for more of that this year.

I nominate @Kaylan @AmandaK and @carolyn to share :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@katie.richards, love these answers! I’m in the same boat re: your first answer. That’s something I’ve grappled with as well. And I can definitely relate to having self-doubt and wanting to leave that behind! It’s sometimes hard, and this often comes with feeling imposter syndrome, which is so prevalent nowadays, especially among younger working professionals (just from my experience talking to friends and peers). The book sounds interesting, too! Will need to check that out.

As for my answers…
What is one thing from 2021 you will carry with you into this New Year?
I feel like I’ve become a lot better about achieving balance, both in my personal and professional lives, so I’d like to continue to prioritize finding balance in all aspects of my life, as well as taking time for self-care and doing things that just bring me joy (whether they’re small or big). I’ve learned that I am my biggest advocate and supporter, so if I want to be happy, I need to prioritize it, and that starts with investing in activities and things that spark joy.

What is one thing you want to leave in 2021?
I’ll also say self-doubt, as well as overthinking things (particularly small things that I have no control over)!

Continuing to build relationships (both professional and personal ones)! I’m hoping to attend more events, both online and hopefully in-person and want to be a lot more intentional about getting to know more people (which has been hard because of COVID - but something I’ve gotten a lot better about) and strengthen my existing relationships. And if I could add anything else here, I’d say travel! I’m hoping to finally get on a plane again and visit more places.

2 Likes

@volkswagenchick @McKennaR, yes, totally feel this!! Anyone else miss hugs? We live in such a different world now…on a side note, I’m hoping I can see you in-person sometime soon, AmyJune. Depending on where we’re at with the pandemic, we can at least engage in some air hugs! lol

2 Likes

@McKennaR, love these! And I really hope you (and all of us) can leave COVID behind us this year…even if it doesn’t look like that right now. I at least hope none of us get COVID this year! Praying and sending good vibes to everyone for a healthy, joyous 2022.

And ditto re: getting to work with our awesome team this year! So appreciative of YOU and everyone else and cannot wait to start planning some exciting programs and other initiatives that will bring our community together. :partying_face: It’s going to be a great year for sure!

@hallienew, hi! It’s great to hear from you (don’t think we’ve officially met yet…), and Happy New Year! Love all of this. In regards to knitting, this made me think about Tom Daley, since I am a ferocious follower of him and am obsessed with all of his knitting creations. Knitting and crocheting are things I’d love to learn, since both my mom and grandma do both…the closest thing I’ve done to knitting is weaving together little friendship bracelets, which isn’t close at all, haha!

Also, KUDOS to you and all parents out there. Being a parent is full-time job within itself, so doing it during a pandemic and with everything else going on is beyond amazing and inspiring. And I’m so glad to hear you have a strong support network and community to help you. :heartpulse:

1 Like

Omg Tom Daley is the new fiber arts hero! The knitting community is loving his knitting in public :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words @hallienew :heart: It’s surely been a difficult time for me, but I am hanging in there.

:tshirt: :yarn: That is AMAZING!! I got a sewing machine last year that I haven’t touched. I am also hoping to create something knit (see what I did there :wink: ). You will have to share a photo of yours!

And you go momma!! Raising a toddler is tough in general. In a pandemic, well you are jus a super-mom if I ever saw it! :slight_smile: Glad you found a strong community to support you along the way!

1 Like