Pantheon Community

Work Out Loud: January 11-17, 2021

Welcome to this week’s Work Out Loud thread! Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. Normally it happens on Monday, but this week…it’s happening on Tuesday.

Welcome!
Welcome to our newest community members: @ravi, @amazingrando, @Doug & @mollypresley! Thank you for joining our community! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :smiley: Let us know where in the world you are!

This week, I am…
:star2: Meeting with folks on our marketing team to launch a cool new project.
:writing_hand: Still writing that blog post about a fave customer of mine.
:gift: oooooh y’all we are getting ready to send out swag links from Gift of Open Source
:busts_in_silhouette: I’m definitely taking some time to reconnect with my personal values and to the people around me after the US news last week.

Motivated by
The Pantheon DevRel team won an internal award for being the cross-functional friends of the customer. Really nice to have our work validated like that, and it motivates me to keep on keepin’ on.

Learning
I’ve been thinking a lot about cookies, trackers, etc. and how those get deployed in digital marketing…and also realizing I really don’t know all that much about how it all works & what the ethical implications are. I’d love to have recommendations from y’all about how to learn more.

Your turn! Here are a few questions to get you started:

• What are you working on this week?
  • What is motivating (or demotivating) you this week?
  • What are you learning?
  • Any good videos/podcasts/articles you can recommend?

I nominate @dgorton, @amyjune, @McKennaR, @bram & @JohnRichardsII!

3 Likes

Thanks, @sparklingrobots for the nomination!

This week, I am…

• Working with the CWG to finalize out “Nudge” initiative. That is where we are working on tools to help promote respect and collaborative dialog in the Drupal Issue Queue and in Slack spaces.
    Florida DrupalCamp is finally launched and I am working on all the things this week… And hey, CFPs and registration is open!! I am busy getting together contrib day and trainings, BTW, the training we have lined up so far is fantastic.

Motivated by
Time. Time is not always on my side, so now that things are getting closer, the pressure is on!!

Learning
I am continuing on my journey in the accessibility realm. Working on getting my IAAP CPACC certification.

Good videos/podcasts/articles you can recommend?
On the FUN level - At our house, we’ve been watching Torchwood to get our almost Dr Who fix…

1 Like

This week, I am…
:gift: Gift of Open Source swag links are on their way [well later this week]! Keep an eye on your inbox so you can grab your swag bag/t-shirts!
:trophy: Coming soon–customer awards! An awesome opportunity to nominate & vote on your favorite WebOps stories submitted by real community members/customers.
:dog: : Still fostering two pups! They take a lot of time but I am loving every minute of it! Photos available upon request :heart:

Motivated by
Echoing what @sparklingrobots said! Our Developer Relations team won an internal award for being the cross-functional friends of the customer It’s safe to say I am still feeling all the emotions! I am so thankful I get to work alongside such brilliant, passionate & innovative people. And for a company who truly does put their customers first.

What I am Learning
:houses: Still continuing to educate myself on all things home buying!
:money_with_wings: I also just ordered an intro to stock market book–which I am super excited to read about! I have been dabbling in stocks but still don’t have a great understanding, so I am hoping to be more aggressive with my investments in 2021.

I nominate @katie.richards @ANW & @joe_mercyhome to share what they are working on this week :slight_smile:

Wooohoo sounds like a busy week! I have no doubt all of the trainings/workshops lined up for DrupalCamp Florida are fabulous! :slight_smile: Here’s to dreaming we can attend in person next year!

This week I am…
:calendar: Scheduling Q1 Pantheon Heroes roadmap reviews and training opportunities
:building_construction: Updating the Pantheon Community site to make it up-to-date
:memo: Planning, planning, and more planning for Heroes for Q1 and Q2

Motivated by…
:gift: Gift of Open Source! Having Gift of Open Source last month was a huge motivation to me to figure out how to best use my skills for the open web. I’ve started helping edit AI captions for workshops, which is a TON of fun!

Learning…
:ocean: Shells, mussels, and tide pools! I’m homeschooling my kids this year and this week we’ve been focusing on tidal pools and the creatures they contain. I’m attempting to stay one step ahead of the kids! :crossed_fingers: The end result should be a big collaborative playdough tide pool

1 Like

Amazing @katie.richards :clap: :clap:

I’d love to hear more about what it’s like to pursue the IAAP CPACC certification. Is it mostly self-study? Classes?

I have using Deque University as a resource. The course is split into very do-able modules. I am also looking at the wide knowledge base available on the IAAP website… I sorta bumbercar through the links.

It’s been a long journey… I wanted to give myself enough time to really learn the material, so I have been at it since November, a few hours here, and few hours there.

Of course, I help with accessibility audits at work, so I get to practice and learn on the job.

2 Likes

Hello! :slight_smile:

Working on:

• Helped some other team members with a site launch today, the first of a couple projects we’re doing with one of our larger clients. We hit a couple small bumps in the road early this morning, but it’s live!
  • Trying to push my evenings-and-weekends side project’s Drupal 8 rebuild out the door in the next month or so – it’s been a long haul of redesigning, rebuilding, and now migrating a bunch of data. Excited to see that one go live, especially so then I can work more on new features. Also looking forward to no longer having to grimace at the development and architecture decisions I made when I first built it in 2016, haha.

Motivated by:
Honestly, Gift of Open Source! It’s pushing me to continue thinking more about contributing, particularly in figuring out and patching Drupal module issues I run into. Half the time, someone else in the community beats me to it :slight_smile:, but I’m trying to get more familiar with the patch process and be more active on that front, so I’ve submitted a couple in the past week or two.

Learning:

• One of my current clients is a higher education site with a bunch of subsites that they’ll spin up later using the same modules and theme, so I’ve been learning more about Drupal profiles/distributions, Custom Upstreams on Pantheon, and composer create-project to create a starter build. I thiiink I’m close to nailing down a nicer process for that.
  • Another client is a state high school athletic association, and we’re about to start development work for tournament brackets. I’m…not much of a sportsball person, so part of the process is learning about the various permutations and requirements they need (byes! double-elims! pigtails! cross brackets! :exploding_head:).
  • In my professional development time, I’m gradually trying to work through a few Wes Bos courses: Beginner JavaScript, Beginner React, then Master Gatsby. Hoping to put decoupled Drupal in my tool belt this year.
2 Likes

@KurtTrowbridge thanks for sharing! I am so glad Gift of Open Source inspired you :black_heart: :yellow_heart: I am definitely inspired by all of the amazing contributions that came through & of course feeling super appreciative of community members like you! :slight_smile:

You mentioned helping a client of yours with a site launch. I would love to hear more about how that went! As someone who actually works in marketing yet lives in a digital/tech world, it always intrigues me to learn more about this process from a different lens.

“Hoping to put decoupled Drupal in my tool belt this year.”

:point_up_2: Wooohoo you got it Kurt! Keep us posted!

2 Likes

@McKennaR Launches are interesting because, depending on the project and the client, my involvement has the tendency to change a bit. If it’s a project on which I was the primary developer, I’m usually handling the launch tasks myself – we have a set of pre-launch tasks (things like adjusting cache settings, updating the CMS, etc.), then the launch process of getting it into a live environment and set up on its final URL, and another set of post-launch tasks (e.g. confirming analytics are being tracked and emails/forms work, adding in uptime monitoring, and submitting the sitemap to Google Search Console so it gets indexed). But all those can shift a little depending on decisions about where we’re hosting (usually Pantheon!), whether or not we’re making the DNS updates ourselves or passing info to the client, and how technically-involved the client is.

Sometimes there are surprises too: this was more noticeable pre-COVID, but sometimes clients’ offices have internal firewalls or other network settings that mean even though everyone else in the world is seeing the new site, their settings still point them to the old site, and we have to remember that possibility and tell them to update it so they’re up to date too. Dealing with that, if we weren’t aware of it beforehand, is always a bit of a stressor on launch days. :slight_smile:

On yesterday’s launch, I was supporting another developer who did most of the work on the site, so I acted mostly as a second set of eyes for support while she went through the launch tasks. :rocket:

1 Like