Pantheon Community

Work Out Loud: January 10-14

Hi Pantheon community members! :wave: Hope everyone’s having a great week so far. Today, I’m celebrating Finn’s (my pet corgi) second birthday, so I of course have to share a pic of him here (in his birthday pajamas, which are a little too small now that he’s full grown). :dog::birthday:

For those of you who are new here: Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. There are no rules here—share whatever you’d like!

Welcome New Members!
Welcome to our newest community members: @TanyaB, @jigama, @tmRoth, @ramkyk, @Ivan, @KenWatts, and @mcurran. We’re so excited to have you here! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :grinning: Let us know where in the world you are! :world_map:

This week, I am…
:gift: Sharing post-event updates and news on the 2021 Gift of Open Source. If you missed the post-event announcement, you can check it out here to see a list of everyone who participated, the reach/impact of the event, and more!

:writing_hand: Preparing to start back up some of our community initiatives, including WebOps Wednesday Ask Me Anything (AMA) threads. Stay tuned!

:mag: Continuing to conduct research on B2B community advocacy programs and looking at ways we can improve the experience for our Heroes Advocacy Program members. And in case you weren’t aware of the program, our Heroes Advocacy Program focuses on supporting and enabling our most active community members who willingly devote their time to give back to open source projects on and off the Pantheon platform. If you truly share the Pantheon mission to make the open web a better place, consider applying to be a Hero.

What I am Most Excited About…
:dog2: I’m planning on celebrating Finn’s birthday all week, which includes taking him to a local dog bakery and toy store soon to get him some goodies and let him pick out a toy. More pics to come!

:checkered_flag: I’m beyond excited to start running some of Pantheon’s community programs. We’ll share more updates about these soon, but I look forward to connecting with and getting to know each of you more in the weeks to come!

Your turn! See below for a few questions to get you started. :point_down:

• What are you working on this week?
  • Do you have any recent big wins you want to share?
  • What are you learning right now?
  • Is there anything our community can help you with?
  • Do you have any upcoming travel plans you’re super excited to share?

This week, I’m nominating @tiffani.williams, @bobbaliu, @nimil.parikh, @esheehan, @chris.reynolds, and @simon (but really, anyone can participate!) to share! Feel free to chime in by clicking “Reply” below, and then, nominate others. :open_hands:

3 Likes

Ohai :wave:

Thanks for the nomination @vee.vopham :sweat_smile: !

This week, I am…

:busts_in_silhouette: Working on, reading and thinking about personalization (p13n) and what we can provide from the platform and through an SDK that would enable agency partners to build custom solutions to allow their clients to deliver personalized content. This has involved being in a lot of meetings! Right now, having an understanding of the tools we have, I’m focusing on next steps, turning PoCs into a tangible SDK and a WordPress version of the Drupal code we have.

:art: I’ve also been deep diving into WordPress 5.9, Full Site Editing and Block Themes. 5.9 is a major release, the size and scope of which hasn’t really been seen in a WP release since Gutenberg dropped in 5.0. It (potentially) changes the way we think about themes, how they are built, and what they even do and I’m trying to cram all that information into my brain so I can talk about it with some level of confidence and understand how that might affect Pantheon and our partners. At the end of this, there will be some amount of output from this research experiment in the form of a blog post or something. :grin:

I am excited about…

D&D! Tonight’s my table’s weekly D&D session. We had a dramatic session last week that included being directed to a magically-protected lake, at the center of which was a unicorn that the players needed to talk to, but every time they tried to get close to it, they found themselves back where they started; they were spied on by a mercenary who was also trying to do the same thing, a fight ensued, and a player character died! This week is a big deal! We need to resolve the lake thing (or not) as some players were experimenting whether they could approach the lake if they shifted into the astral plane, and we need to deal with the very real consequences of one PC’s death and whether he is able to be revived. I also have a new monster that I wrote based on a dream I had that I’m anxious to throw at them! :game_die: :dragon:

2 Likes

Hi, @chris.reynolds! Thanks for sharing everything you’re working on this week. Sounds like a busy week! I love the idea of a blog post on WordPress 5.9 - think that’ll be super useful to our users. And it sounds like you have a fun night planned later today. I’m curious about the new monster you’ve created based on a dream… :thinking:

P.S. I really enjoyed your DJ’d coworking hour last month! It included music I’d totally jam to while working. :smiley: For instance, “Computer Love” by Glass Candy is a bop for sure!

1 Like

Oh it’s been super-busy. I’ve been

calls calls calls

all week! :sweat_smile:

I’m curious about the new monster you’ve created based on a dream…

It was a swarm of bioluminescent, flying, flesh-eating, giant manta rays that created weird/interesting fireworks-like patterns of light across their bodies to distract and confuse their prey!

Glad you enjoyed the DJ’d coworking session! I really enjoyed playing some tunes. Next time I have hopes to actually DJ it proper (like, with an actual virtual DJ app). :headphones:

2 Likes

Haha, I can relate! I do feel like I’ve had a lot of calls/meetings this week as well, both internally and externally. Hope you have some free time later today/tomorrow, so you can focus on work though (why it’s so important to block out time on your calendar for independent, focus time).

Oh wow, that monster sounds intense…and you had a dream about this?! Was this a nightmare? :rofl: Hope the D&D session went well though and that everyone liked your new monster!

And using a virtual DJ app sounds cool! Don’t think I’ve experienced one yet (looks like VirtualDJ is a popular option)…I thought about DJing a coworking session later too, but will probably just play a Spotify playlist and keep it simple, at least for the first time. :laughing: Also, happy almost Friday!

1 Like

I am down a :raised_hand: this week, so keeping it short!

HBD Finn!! :partying_face: :tada: @vee.vopham I hope you took Finn out for a very special puppachino!

I am working on…

• OKR planning for community! Who else loves OKRs?

• Working alongside @vee.vopham + @katie.richards to review all of the wonderful feedback we received from you all via our annual community survey! Looking forward to sharing key themes with you all!

And on a personal note, nursing Chubs + I back to health after a traumatic dog park experience :heart:

I nominate @volkswagenchick @clayton @froboy @jordan.schulz @omarmuhyar to share!

1 Like

Oh wow, that monster sounds intense…and you had a dream about this?! Was this a nightmare? :rofl:

Yes :sweat_smile:

Hope the D&D session went well though and that everyone liked your new monster!

It did! They didn’t end up encountering the monster I created but they did get to see the light patterns in the sky from them, so I’ve hinted at it and may bring it back. (I did a roll behind the scenes to see if they would actually encounter them, but I also gave them some credit because they were pretty beat up already and it would have been a pretty difficult encounter.)

using a virtual DJ app sounds cool! Don’t think I’ve experienced one yet (looks like VirtualDJ is a popular option)

Yep, that’s the one I use. I found it many years ago and they’ve since gone with a free/premium model, and the free version gives you all the core functionality you need. I’ve seen stuff about a couple others recently, but everything else in the space is either trial or paid and I am pretty familiar with my VDJ setup having used it for a long time. I don’t have a digital mixer like some other folks have (I’m oldschool and still have an analog DJ mixer lying around) which integrate into some of the more advanced and sophisticated DJ apps. Newer apps I’ve seen (including the paid version of Virtual DJ) do cool stuff like allowing you to use online resources rather than requiring you to have all the files yourself (although, because of licensing restrictions, you can’t use Spotify as a source, you have to use Tidal or Apple or some other service).

1 Like

“traumatic dog park experience” doesn’t sound good. Hope the recovery time is short.

This I am STILL settling in at Opensource.com… but meeting the community so its been fun!!

AND STILL working on all things Florida DrupalCamp…really looking forward to seeing my peeps.

1 Like

Big hugs to you and Chubs as you two continue to get better. Again, please let me know if/how I can support you this week! :yellow_heart:

And thanks for wishing Finn a happy birthday! He says thank you!! Lol, and yes, he’s been getting spoiled this week…lots of treats and toys.

Oh cool! Sounds like y’all had an eventful night for sure.

I’m curious, so you’re using the free version of VirtualDJ then? I’ll need to look into this and dig around a bit just out of curiosity. I feel like this would’ve been SO helpful in my college days throwing house parties. :laughing: And it’ll honestly still be helpful if/when I decide to plan something bigger that’s in-person again. But using it during a virtual DJ coworking session sounds awesome!

Sounds like you’ve had a busy but fun week! Love to hear it! I’m curious, how have you been mainly getting to know your community members, e.g., in programs/events, in online discussions, in 1:1 meetings, or maybe through a mix of these and something else?

1 Like

I’m curious, so you’re using the free version of VirtualDJ then? I’ll need to look into this and dig around a bit just out of curiosity. I feel like this would’ve been SO helpful in my college days throwing house parties. :laughing: And it’ll honestly still be helpful if/when I decide to plan something bigger that’s in-person again. But using it during a virtual DJ coworking session sounds awesome!

Yep, long time user of the free version actually. Using the “classic” or “legacy” skin, it gives me 4 decks simultaneously, which I use extensively to queue up and sync the next couple things I want to play. Would have for sure been helpful for DJ’ing parties back in college but in those days I was all analog (vinyl and CDs) because I’m old :sweat_smile:

I’ve got a bunch of sets up on Mixcloud if you want to hear my DJ’ing attempts (and foibles :joy:). All of them were made using various versions of Virtual DJ.

1 Like

We have a regular weekly cadence of “Correspondents” (folks who contribute 10+ articles a year) call where the team (21) are invited. We meet on meetups. The times alternate every two weeks to accommodate different time zones. I have been on 6 weekly calls and generally about 8-10 folks show up… some of them are weekly regulars.

Since I don’t know ANY of the authors I shared my calendar with them and have been meeting 1:1 with folks who are keen. We do use discourse and there is some engagement there, but less than I had hoped.

We have a “Contributor” team as well… I am going to start meeting with them soonish… still trying to navigate and balance all the things.

Opensource.com also organizes some events, but as things are weird right now, we dont know what that will look like yet for this year.

Here is a link to the programs for more context.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris! Going to listen to some of your Mixcloud mixes now. Your Spring Fling 2021 mix definitely sounds like something that my friends and I would’ve enjoyed at a college party (and also now lol). :laughing:

1 Like

Happy Friday, and thanks for sharing all of this! Your Correspondent Program sounds fairly similar to Pantheon’s Heroes Advocacy Program, which I’m sure maybe you and Katie have already talked about. For instance, both are for more committed users and require a bit more time and responsibilities, but there are perks/benefits of membership. I’m also curious…in addition to the meetups, how else can members communicate with one another? Is there a Slack, or do you try to encourage folx to use the Discourse site? I do think it’s challenging when there are multiple community channels…members typically gravitate toward one, and the use case needs to be clearly defined for each, or else, they’ll be a bit of confusion as to why/when to use one platform vs. another.

The Correspondents and the team (there are only a handful of us) use discourse for most comms. We chat daily about all kinds of topics. There are some who chat daily, others not so much. :slight_smile:

Email is very popular as well.

We don’t have Slack internally or for the community programs.

1 Like

Oh, ok, thanks for confirming. I totally forgot about email for a second, lol! I feel like we don’t use email too much at Pantheon (for internal or external communications) at least besides for calendar scheduling purposes. We’re mostly on Slack.

I am a part of some communities/groups that have an email listserv, but I imagine it’s harder to track various community metrics/analytics and do reporting if you use a listserv.

1 Like