Work Out Loud: February 7-11

Happy Monday everyone! :wave: I hope you all had a nice, restful weekend. :raised_hands:

This Week’s Featured Tweet:

So, after last week, I’ve decided to highlight at least one interesting or timely tweet or Twitter thread each week to try to get the conversation going! See above for one I recently came across that really resonated with me, especially since more and more people are coming to work in tech, either for the first time or after exploring other industries/sectors. From your experience, is there anything missing from this list? I would add that making/investing in relationships is important. :100:

And in case you missed the above thread from my colleague, @NineLivesBlackCat, please share and respond if you have clients still running sites on Drupal 7!

Now, let’s get right to it! For those of you who are new here: Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time. There are no rules here—share whatever you’d like!

Welcome New Members!
Welcome to our newest community members: ​​@kcontos, @bekan, @Jmorton, @gladys_loa, @purger, @jefloeb, @joelsteidl, @cobadger, and @alansherry. We’re so excited to have you here! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :grinning: Let us know where in the world you are! :world_map:

This Week, I Am…
:writing_hand: Prepping for our upcoming WebOps Wednesday AMAs, which are text-based and occur on our Community Forum here. Our next AMA session is this Wednesday, February 9, with Chris Reynolds (@chris.reynolds), Software Engineer at Pantheon on the CMS Ecosystems Team currently working on Pantheon Edge Integrations and personalization. He’ll be taking questions on WordPress, role-playing, board games, Composer, DJing, experimental/indeterminate music, and podcasting.

:trophy: Awarding this month’s Community Champion! Stayed tuned for a Forum update on who our next Community Champion will be and for more information about them and their journey into open source.

:broom: Continuing to work with @McKennaR (and others on our team) on cleaning up our Community Forum and Slack! We look forward to improving your overall community experience (taking your feedback from our 2021 Community Survey into account!).

What I am Most Excited About…
:sunny: The warmer weather! It’s finally getting a little warmer in the DC area (after a few weeks of super cold, dreary weather), so I’m looking forward to being able to take Finn on longer walks and hikes and am planning a trip to West Virginia with a friend this weekend.

Your turn! See below for a few questions to get you started. :point_down:

• What are you working on this week?
  • Do you have any recent big wins you want to share?
  • What are you learning and/or reading right now?
  • Is there anything our community can help you with?
  • Do you have any upcoming travel plans you’re super excited to share?

This week, I’m nominating @kburakozdemir, @jesse.ryles, @jairam, @boomalley, and @dconnor (but really, anyone can participate!) to share! Feel free to chime in by clicking “Reply” below, and then, nominate others. :open_hands:

1 Like

Happy Tuesday everyone! Thanks for sharing Vee :slight_smile:

Welcome ​​@bekan, @Jmorton, @gladys_loa, @purger, @jefloeb, @joelsteidl, @cobadger, and @alansherry. We’re so excited to have you here! :wave:

I am really excited for this weeks WebOps AMA with @chris.reynolds! Especially now that I know he owns a 3D printer :printer:

This Week I am…

• Developers Portal :zap: Yep, you heard that right! I am working alongside our friends in Customer Education, Docs and Developer Relations to begin working on a one-stop shop for all of our Devs to find what they need to be successful on Pantheon. Much like New Relic’s Dev Portal. If you are a developer, drop me a DM on slack or message me here – would love to hear your thoughts. :thought_balloon:

• Community Slack + Forum Cleanup :clap: Better searchability, more accessible, interactive, personalized + overall a better UX/UI. We know this will take some time, but we are passionate about creating a better space for you all to connect + share. Once again, if you did not have a chance to share feedback in our 2021 Annual Community Survey, we would love to hear from you :slight_smile: Send us a note at Community@Pantheon.io.

One thing I am Learning Right Now…

• Investing :chart_with_upwards_trend: About a year ago I decided to invest in a financial planner. Without actually knowing what I was getting myself into :see_no_evil: Yea, I know. So this year I have decided to spend time reading, researching and practicing investing in the stock market myself. Anyone else on this journey? Have any great audiobook recommendations?

I nominate @volkswagenchick @hallienew @GaleW @Lickas @cathibosco to share :slight_smile:

1 Like

More than one, actually. :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks for the nomination McKenna.

This Week I am…

• Still getting into the work flow for my new role - Lots of meeting the Opensource.com community and the more prolific writers. But also readhing out to folks I know about writing for the site…
    Speaking of writing for the site. I am putting together a “What is your favorite Git command?” roundup article. Asking folks for 1-2 sentences or a paragraph about their fav. git command. (PM me if you’d like to be included)
  • Florida DrupalCamp - Wow!! Two weeks away. I am busy finalizing all the things with the other orgainzers… Bought new party dress… with a cat print! Also working on the Pantheon Getting started with Drupal WS, very excited to be leading this for the first time!
  • DrupalCon North America - Portland - Community Summit Planning this week. One thing at a time for that.

I hope everyone has a great week!

1 Like

Same! Also even more excited because he has a resin printer, too?! We’ll need to see some pics of your fav creations, @chris.reynolds.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, @volkswagenchick! Excited to see you and everyone else soon, and especially excited to see your cat print dress in person! :star_struck:

Have you invited people to respond to this ask on Twitter? Happy to share if there’s an existing tweet or something and also ask other Pantheon staff to contribute their fav Git commands!

Great idea @vee.vopham

1 Like

I guess you’ll need to ask! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I love this question! I will respond on Twitter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am a little late to the game, but it is always better late than never, I suppose.

I have been here a few months now and there has been so much to absorb. But I have loved every minute of it.

This week I am…

• Working to put into place systems for myself to help me manage my work flow efficiently.

• Getting to know my customers better, as well as learning how to meet their needs, utilizing resources to find answers that will better support, or even anticipate needs as they arise.

Things I am learning…
One or maybe 2 things I am working on learning right now is using Terminus as well as Drupal. I have been setting up a website, so that I can better understand, experience and become familiar with some of the Drupal processes, so that I am further better able to relate to the customer.

2 Likes

Hi, @GaleW! It’s nice to hear from you. Welcome to our Community Forum! I’m also fairly new to Pantheon (just started in early December), so I agree, there’s lots to learn, but yes, it’s all super exciting! There’s definitely never a dull moment working here!

I’m curious, how often do you check in with your customers? How many do you oversee at any given time? And after the conversations you’ve already had, can you identify common themes for their needs/challenges?

No worries Gale! We are just excited to have you here :slight_smile:

I would love to hear what you do for work, if you are open to sharing! I am a marketer by trade, but have spent the last 5+ years building B2B + B2C communities :clap:

:point_up: Ohhh organizing workflows is one of my favorite things! I am a big fan of Asana for project management. Curious what tools you are looking into!

1 Like

@vee.vopham & @McKennaR, Sure, I am a Customer Success Manager. We generally setup a meeting with diamond/enterprise customers, a minimum of twice a year. We review their sites and look at performance as well as ways to recommend site performance improvements, or if we see anything of importance that needs to be addressed. Other than that, we work closely with the account managers to support and work a bit as an advocate for the customer, if ever they have issues arise that they need to escalate. As far as how many customers, I think on average we are around 35-50 for each CSM.

@McKennaR - YES! Asana is my FAVORITE, I love it and it is what I am using to work on my workflow.

2 Likes

Oh, thanks for sharing all of this! Very interesting. I assume newer CSMs have a lower # of customers they manage? But still, 35 is a lot! And I didn’t realize the CS org also used Asana! I LOVE Asana too…have used it in the past at my last org so cannot imagine life without it now. :laughing:

Also, curious, were you a CSM in your last role, and were you also interacting with more technical customers?

Sorry late to the party again here! :party_dancer_shark:

Ohhh that’s super interesting! I didn’t realize you have meetings with those customers several times a year to review performance. etc. That’s so great that we offer that! :clap:

I am curious – community + customer support go hand + hand. I am seeing more CSEs popping into our forum + Slack, monitoring conversations + helping our customers/members out, which I think is great! Do you or your team feel comfortable enough sharing what we offer from a community perspective? Are you aware of what we offer already? What could we do better here to help raise awareness around how community matters at Pantheon and what we offer for our customers? Sorry long question, but so curious to gather your thoughts!

1 Like

@vee.vopham Prior, the CSM’s did have a much larger customer base, but as of the last 4 months, we have doubled our CSM team :heart_eyes:, so things have been spread out among everyone. The hope is that our customer base will continue to grow. :smile:

As for what I did prior to Pantheon, I was working full time as the web services/developer for a university and a part of Marketing and Communications team. Prior to that I had my own small web agency. I have been working in web development for more than 20 years.

@McKennaR I am sure our team would welcome the conversation of how we can help edify and lift up your services. I would recommend reaching out to @Kaylan and maybe you can join in on one of our meetings to have that conversation. :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks @GaleW ! I love that idea :slight_smile:

I will definitely reach out to @Kaylan! I know you are all super close to our customers, so naturally I would love to get your teams thoughts on things.

2 Likes