Pantheon Community

Work Out Loud: August 9-13

Howdy friends! :cowboy_hat_face:

I am writing this week’sWork Out Loud thread from sunny Austin, TX! In fact, I am currently sitting on the patio as we speak, soaking up some sun! For those of you who are new here, Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time!. :clap:t5:

Welcome to our newest community members!
@sindhu @buttonwillowsix @jairam @InGauge @artis @jrearick-pfg @LindaC .You’re all cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :smiley: Let us know where in the world you are! :point_down:t5:

This week, I am…
:white_check_mark: Working on making sure all of your awesome feedback + feature requests make it to the right teams. Yes, we are listening to you + still want to hear your thoughts!
:oncoming_automobile: Driving from Austin :arrow_right: Phoenix Thursday. Any good playlists? Send them my way!

What I am Most Excited About

Second Episode of Bolts + Bytes :cloud_with_lightning: is taking place this Thursday August 12th at 9:00am PST! :movie_camera: Come hang with developer Advocates @JohnRichardsII + @fatima.khalid on Twitter!

If you have something or someone you would like us to give a shoutout to, drop it below! :arrow_down: This could be a big win for you or your team, someone who helped you in a big way, etc. We want to highlight all of the awesome work that happens in + outside of our community. If you don’t have anything to share, don’t worry --this is an informal time to connect + chat! :heart:

Your turn! Here are a few questions to get you started:

• What are you working on this week?
  • Do you have any big wins you want to share? Anything you would like us to call out on the Morning Show happening later this week?
  • What is motivating (or demotivating) you this week?
  • What are you learning? What would you like to learn?
  • Any good videos/podcasts/articles you can recommend?
  • Any upcoming travel plans you are super excited to share?

I nominate @webidextrous @duran @volkswagenchick @chris.martindale @chris.finney @james.dimitrov @rvtraveller to share what they are working on this week :slight_smile:

I want to extend a very warm Hero welcome to all the new folks!! @McKennaR Thanks for the nomination.

This week is a little weird. I am working on finishing up small tasks in prep for a trip to Asheville, NC next week!! I am so excited. We are going to LIVE music, SLeater Kinney. MASKS on of course. I opted for seats instead of general admission where people are very close. Oh, back to work, DD&I camp is this weekend and I am looking forward to attending, volunteering, and speaking.

Big wins? I am privileged to be helping organize a mentor the mentor summit next month. My favorite part of open source is giving back, but teaching others how to give back by teaching others to give back is kinda meta!!

Until next time!!

Links:
Contribution Mentor Summit, 2021 - Contribution Mentor Summit, 2021
Sleater-Kinney - One Beat (my favorite song) - Sleater-Kinney - One Beat - YouTube

1 Like

Of course! I always love hearing what you’ve got going on! :clap:t5:

Asheville is one of my FAVORITE little mountain towns! So many awesome breweries + great food. Plus the hikes are beautiful, so that is a big bonus! :mount_fuji: Snap lots of photos to share! And make sure to check out the Biltmore–gorgeous architecture!

:point_up:t5: Ohhh please do tell more! That sounds really interesting! I know it’s still a few months away but if you have any awesome ideas for Gift of Open Source, I am all ears :ear:

Have a fab rest of the week AmyJune!

Thanks for the nomination @McKennaR!

This is a bit of an odd week for me because I’m on the road to get some construction stuff worked out. Simultaneously, In some ways it is kind of like having two jobs as I coordinate not just the day job tech work but also coordinate contractors and other things for the home projects.

In terms of learning, I’ve been doing quite a bit of digging this week on different authentication providers that can be embedded in web applications. I know Pantheon uses Auth0 for the dashboard functionality and I’ve used them on projects, but also evaluating things like AWS Cognito, Google Cloud Identity Platform, Microsoft’s equivalent, and a few other SaaS providers. They all seem to have their own pros/cons so it is tricky figuring out which one is “the best”.

Big Wins? Well, I was on my way to the airport yesterday evening to catch a flight to Orlando and on the way got an email that my flight was cancelled with the next available flight not until 24+ hours later. That didn’t work for my schedule so I ended up getting rebooked on a (significantly delayed) flight to Tampa instead and then had to deal with moving our rental car reservation and such. Doesn’t sound like much of a win, but I did finally make it to my hotel in Orlando around 3am last night/this morning (I originally should have been to the hotel by 9pm). It is almost like conference life (but was a LOT more stress) with the whole lack of sleep thing :stuck_out_tongue: . But big win in that we were able to get down here for what we had going on today.

And…that’s it! I’m off to more meetings and hopefully slipping in a nap at some point during the day today. The team is launching a few sites on Pantheon so there is a bit of excitement in the air! Got to run!