Pantheon Community

Work Out Loud: August 23-27

I’m taking over for Kenna this week! :wave:t2: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Welcome to this week’s Work Out Loud thread! Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time!. :clap:t5:

Welcome!
Welcome to our newest community members: @rowansays @bburch2000 @Bird @mdrain ! You’re all cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :smiley: Let us know where in the world you are! :point_down:t5:

This week, I am…
:thinking: thinking a lot about all of the things we discussed and planned at the Developer Advocacy retreat in Michigan last week and what actionable steps we can take to make those changes happen!

What I am Most Excited About
:film_strip: another episode of Bolts n Bytes - the weekly livestream on Thursday mornings at 9am on Pantheon’s Twitter that @JohnRichardsII and I co-host. It’s been a really fun addition to the week and helps us be really creative about sharing things. If you’d like to be on the show or have ideas, let us know!

If you have something or someone you would like us to give a shoutout to, drop it below! :arrow_down: This could be a big win for you or your team, someone who helped you in a big way, etc. We want to highlight all of the awesome work that happens in + outside of our community. If you don’t have anything to share, don’t worry --this is an informal time to connect + chat! :heart:

Your turn! Here are a few questions to get you started:

• What are you working on this week?
  • Do you have any big wins you want to share? Anything you would like us to call out on Bolts n Bytes on Thursday morning?
  • What is motivating (or demotivating) you this week?
  • What are you learning? What would you like to learn?
  • Any good videos/podcasts/articles you can recommend?
  • Any upcoming travel plans you are super excited to share?

I nominate @rvtraveller @Christy @KurtTrowbridge @jose.castaneda and @CodeChefMarc :clap:t2: !

1 Like

This week I’m doing a lot of exploration around the topic of Governance. I had a talk accepted on the topic and that has spiraled quite a bit. I did a lot of work around Governance at the University I worked at before Pantheon but thats one place in one vertical. It is fascinating learning how other sectors like non-profits, government, and enterprise view the concept.

I’m excited to partner back of with @fatima.khalid this week doing Bolts n Bytes. After our rapid race for the airport ep3 I’ll be glad to have a slower pace.

Only 2 weeks until my Cabin Con event. Where a bunch of friends and I rent a cabin in the woods and then bring hundreds of board games and play them for 3-4 days straight. It is always one of my favorite activities of the year.

3 Likes

Hi everyone! Hope all is well with your end of summer. I can’t believe it’s almost fall already!

@fatima.khalid - I wasn’t aware of Bolts n Bytes, how very cool!

@JohnRichardsII - Cabin Con sounds super awesome! Pre-pandemic, we used to do a monthly board game afternoon / night with a ton of folks and we’re really looking forward to when we can do that again soon. Do you have a favorite board game? (I know, hard to choose just one!)

As for my week, I built something that I’m sure not many of us like … a web pop-up… But! I was pretty proud of how it all came together and I really thought of some nice consumer-focused ideas to make it better for the customer. Also, it’s really customizable so that helps with it being (hopefully) more engaging than a standard “ask for your email” kind of pop-up.

At home, we got our yearly TON of Gravenstein apples from some local friends orchard. So, I made pies and my first try at apple butter - super super good.

Leaving you with our newest family member, Motor (my son named her because of her purr!)

3 Likes

Hello! :wave:

No upcoming travel plans, but our team just had our first in-person get-together since late 2019 last Friday! It was great to see everyone, especially coworkers I hadn’t yet met in person. :slight_smile:

Nothing major going on here – we had several launches in July and early August, so we’re a little more in post-launch and maintenance mode at the moment. I’m working toward defining processes to getting the rest of our Drupal 8 sites upgraded to D9 ahead of the end-of-life deadline, and trying to knock out a few each week.

Otherwise, I’ve been doing some more React learning (mostly trial-by-error, ha!) on the side – working on a social media image generator that pulls in Drupal data via JSON:API.

4 Likes

I can’t choose just one favorite so I’ll go with 3 :stuck_out_tongue:

My long time favorite game is Mage Knight but I can nwver get it to the table so my preference is mostly nostalgia driven.

My favorite competitive game that gets played is Scythe. I grow in enjoyment of the game with each time I play. I’m probably a little biased since the designer is from St. Louis :raised_hands:

Favorite cooperative game is Spirit Island. Another game that I just can’t get enough of. It is heavy and complex for a coop, but thats why I love it.

How about you, any favorites?

Love the new family member :heart_eyes_cat:Cats make great coding companions if you can keep them off the keyboard :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh wowza, making me think here. :laughing:

First, seeing that pie made me want to bake one so now I’ll have to get more butter in order to make the crust and some apples. And, and, and so many other things.

This week, I am

Reading a book, hopefully make progress on an online course for Software Engineering, make a pie, see a friend, and I guess sleep at one point that’s up for debate.

What I am most excited about

Diving into some Java code on the course because I wanted to learn it many, many, many full moons ago and never really got around to it.

Sharing things

One thing that popped in my radar was:

2 Likes

I want to say I’ve played Scythe at some point as that looks very familiar. As for my favorites - currently playing a lot of board games with my son. During lockdown we’ve had a lot of chances to try one new ones. With him, I am enjoying the Marvel United game with all the expansions. The Thanos battle is really tough, but in a good way.

My son loves Castle Panic and I have to admit it’s definitely growing on me - the co-op nature of that one is something you have to pay close attention to - they balanced it well.

In my gaming circles, I think my favorites are Power Grid and Tzolk’in - both are well done.

2 Likes

Your son has great taste, For as simple as Marvel United looks it has a surprising amount of choice and planning. Lots of fun and it looks great.

1 Like