Pantheon Community

Work Out Loud: April 5-9, 2021 🚫

Welcome to this week’s Work Out Loud thread! Work Out Loud is a weekly opportunity to share what we’re working on, who we’re meeting with, and what we’re doing in our free time.

Welcome!
Welcome to our newest community members: @mdiplock, @hollyrusak, @brett.howells, @Safinasafina, @dconnor, @mlaurel, @joewestcott, @eustis, @iamcloyd, @jms, @MorganM, @awatila-tdh and @ppatter2! You’re cordially invited to participate in our Work Out Loud thread, this week and every week. :smiley: Let us know where in the world you are, and what brings you to the Pantheon community.

This week, I am…
:drupal: It’s the final countdowwwwwn DrupalCon is nearly upon us. Tomorrow I’ll be attending the Hidden Histories of Drupal panel, and this week I’ll be preparing my talk with Sienna Svob at Blue State Digital, Pantheon’s booth presence, and the Decoupled Menus initiative contribution day.

Motivated by:
I had a great session with my mentor (from the Ceresa program, thanks Pantheon!). I’d been feeling really drained and demotivated, and I am feeling some more clarity and purpose. That’s looking like:

• Pruning slack channels I don’t need to be in
  • Unsubscribing from email newsletters
  • Creating a checklist to evaluate new opportunities
  • Finding ways to politely say no, thanks

What strategies do you use to keep your obligations balanced?

Your turn! Here are a few questions to get you started:

• What are you working on this week?
  • What is motivating (or demotivating) you this week?
  • What are you learning?
  • Any good videos/podcasts/articles you can recommend?
  • What gives you energy at work?

I nominate @katie.richards, @CodeChefMarc, @McKennaR, @duran, & @volkswagenchick!

Happy Monday, y’all!
Tara

1 Like

whew - if you really want to know :wink:

What am I working on this week?

• upgrading a large .ORG site’s gulp build tools to use the latest versions of node and gulp.
  • wrapping up a lot of styling for some complex tables on a site that is gasp actually using tables for data.
  • Starting a big discovery process on a website I built 6 years ago, and have supported since, that now is ready to go to Drupal 9.
  • Answering emails and keeping the juggling balls in the air!

Motivation

• My mortgage :wink:
  • Believe it or not, I actually enjoy what I do, I feel very lucky, so I try my hardest to keep doing what I love doing.

What am I learning

• How to upgrade gulp build tools, ha!
  • I’m spending some time to brush up on more modern HTML5 and CSS3 tools that I’ve not adopted yet for a few new projects starting over the summer. The old ways work just fine - but there’s always something new to learn.

What are you listening to or reading?

• I’ve been reading a lot about large(r) IT organization patterns and anti patterns. How to deal with larger client surface areas (when you have 4 project managers for one client… as an example).

What gives me energy

• The cat and dog, summer time is right around the corner and it looks like I might enjoy this one.
4 Likes

Ooh I’d love to hear more about this process – a lot of folks are starting that same journey.

p.s. I need pictures of the cat and the dog.

2 Likes

5 Likes

awwwwww green-eyed tuxedo!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

This week, I’m

:white_flower: working on:

:white_flower: motivated/de-motivated by

• Ramadan coming up in a week!
  • Still feeling pretty burnt out so having a break will be good :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:white_flower: reading/watching/listening to

:bouquet: happy spring ya’ll!

1 Like

Thanks for the nomination @sparklingrobots !

• What are you working on this week?
    Lots of DrupalCon this week!!
    today is the community Summit and then a bit of relaxation by attending the DD&I panel discussion afterward.
    I am helping with the Easy out of the Box Initiative for DC, so I’ll be working on the keynote and triaging issues.
    I am presenting first thing on Monday on accessibility … I have given one version of the talk at 45min, and I have to work on paring it down to 30 min and still try to keep all the content. (And I am well-winded, so this will be a challenge)
    DrupalCamp NYC and DrupalCamp Asheville are starting to ramp up, so I have some misc. tasks to help with organizational efforts. I like to help with programming trainings and contributions at the smaller DrupalCamps
    SFDUG is also this week. I am hosting the meetup and I am excited as we are having some DC speakers come and practice their sessions.

• What is motivating (or demotivating) you this week?
    DrupalCon is next week!! I’d rather be busy this week than overwhelmed next week, so trying to tie up lots of loose ends.

• What are you learning?
    At Kanopi we’re having some HR training on bias which aligns with my new prodev leadership trainings that I am taking through my local junior college.

At home we are thinking about moving to a slightly larger space… A little scary for me as it means maybe moving 35 minutes away to Monterey… I absolutely hate moving, but our place is so small that I don’t have my own office, which was perfectly fine when we were able to travel, but giving a presentation at home in the kitchen is weird - I really don’t enjoy having people see my art, plants, etc…or my wife walk by in her PJams, hahaha.

Have a wonderful week everyone, hope to see some faces at DrupalCon and the other community events.

3 Likes

Happy Friday everyone! I’ve got OK Go’s “Here it Goes Again” stuck in my head. :slight_smile: Mostly because it’s Friday, but also because we’re still stuck on the project as they extended the launch date - so we thought we’d launch yesterday but we’re instead launching next week!

@sparklingrobots - I hear you on the Digital cleanup, back in December, I did a huge cleanup of that kind of stuff and it felt amazing. I added Podcasts to that list as I subscribe to far too many podcasts!

Working on: finishing touches of this huge site, mainly had to rework the mobile menu to be more in line with their design. Which I get, but I miss some of the fun things I had to get rid of - dynamic breadcrumbs in the mobile sliding menu… Ahh well!

Motivated - My family - this week they have been super supportive. :house:

Sad to miss DrupalCon this year as I’m just far too busy with this project, but, launch is soon so I’ll be able to get back into the community and learning new things.

Have a great weekend!