I was recently reviewing an old blog post draft with @dgorton about performance tuning and I started questioning if my own knowledge is out of date.
Pantheon’s integration with New Relic is great for telling you if you have a performance problem and where it is. But I wouldn’t want to use it as my only tool for then correcting a certain type of problem.
What do you personally do when you hit a situation like this:
- You think a section of code is taking too long to execute.
- You want to measure the execution time of that section.
- You want to make tweaks, run the code, see if it got better or worse.
The tool I used most successfully for that style of development was XHProf, which seems to be unmaintained now. I used Blackfire somewhat successfully a few years ago. And XDebug has a profiler, but I haven’t tried it in a long time.