I’ve been developing for the web since 1998 (anyone remember Tripod hosting?) and using WordPress since 2007. I’ve worked as an independent contractor, in-house developer, and worked my way up the agency ladder to Director of Development, eventually managing a team of 20+ incredibly skilled people while working on projects for the Fortune 100 and beyond.
I launched WPSessions in 2013 so I could pay people smarter than me to fill my business and development blindspots. Seven years later, the site now hosts more than 170 hours of exclusive training content. There are a lot of great lessons to be learned here!
These past few years I’ve specialized in tutorial videos, private team training and onboarding materials, and online event organizing. My real passion is for self-directed learning and helping others to better solve important and complicated problems. I can’t resist helping good people do great things!
Conversation notes (the things I feel qualified to discuss):
- Public Speaking, Training, and Event Organization
- I’ve personally attended all 170+ hours of presentations on WPSessions and can offer plenty of advice on creating, delivering, and pitching a compelling presentation.
- I’ve found a lot of success and opportunity from public speaking.
- I can talk in-depth about creating both tutorial and promo videos.
- I also have a ton of experience to share organizing and hosting both physical and virtual events (from meetups and conferences to webinars and summits).
- Development and Design:
- I’ve been working with WordPress since version 2.3, designing and developing custom sites, plugins, themes, and admin experiences.
- I’ve worked both independently and with several agencies (both internally and as a contractor or consultant).
- I run a mixture of custom code and commercial plugins for running both WPSessions and the 'Sesh events. I have a lot of opinions around when to pick a library vs build a custom solution.
- Before going all-in on development I spent a lot of time learning graphic design. To this day I still design most of my own sites and artwork.
- Personal Finance:
- As best I can, I try to operate my business by maximizing runway (that is to say, future salary in the bank). I currently have the next 6 months worth of payroll stashed and invoices due for another 6 months beyond that.
- We optimized our family budget early on to eliminate all our debt, keeping away from everything except mortgages ever since.
- Our current family budget is optimized for experiences (things we can enjoy together) and various long-term savings goals (trips, home renovation, etc.)
- Our long-term investment strategy is in rental property.
- Personal Interests:
- I have a degree in photography and can talk cameras, lighting, and composition for days.
- I’m a super amateur woodworker, but I talk a big game. I have plenty of free opinions on tools.
- I love high-quality action and sci-fi movies. Anything with a believable plot, characters who are congruent for the entire story, good dialogue, and great cinematography.
- I’m a huge fan of Lego and have a collection that dates back 30 years.
- True story: our house was robbed once, while we were sleeping, and only our Lego was stolen. I now have a LOT of experience with filing and completing an insurance claim.