Today is Global Accessibility Awareness Day!

May 19 is Global Accessibility Awareness Day, a day spent world-wide on education and focus on digital accessibility and inclusion for the billion plus folks with disabilities. Providing accessible spaces online is an incredibly important step as content creators and web builders, especially working in the open source space. I’m reminded of WordPress’ unofficial motto of “Democratizing Publishing” for all on the web. How better to do that than build the web in a way that improves the lives of all people, including and especially those with disabilities?

If you follow Pantheon on Twitter, you may have noticed a LOT of really incredible accessibility resources being shared over the last week. If you don’t follow us on Twitter, I highly recommend checking them out! Here are a few of the most recent Tweets to get you started.

I reached out to Hero @volkswagenchick, who has spent a lot of her web career focused on Accessibility education to hear some of her favorite spaced to learn more about increasing accessible spaces on the internet.

• If you like to watch video content and learn best that way, check out past A11y Talks on YouTube for more than 100 presentations on accessibility or check out the schedule of upcoming events on the A11y Talks site!
  • At the WebOps.21 Summit, @volkswagenchick, Jennifer Chadwick of SiteImprove, and Sandra Koranteng of Minegrub hosted an incredibly valuable discussion during the Accessibility Power Hour about accessibility myths, best practices to building accessibly, and provide actionable tips!
  • Do you use Drupal or WordPress or perhaps both CMSes? Drupal.tv and WordPress.tv each host a plethora of CMS-specific accessibility presentations from past community events.
  • If you’d prefer to read more about accessibility and A11y related topics, OpenSource.com has an excellent resource bank of articles for you to check out!

If you read, watch, or hear something new about accessibility this week, come back and share so we can celebrate learning together!

2 Likes

Thanks for the effort in getting this together

1 Like