Pantheon Community

Terminus update fails

I have Terminus installed locally, currently running v 1.9.0. Whenever I run a terminus command, I get a message that a new version (2.0.1) is available. I’ve run “composer update” as suggested as well as the Terminus installer command.

> curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pantheon-systems/terminus-installer/master/builds/installer.phar && php installer.phar update

The resulting message is that no updates are needed. But it’s still v1.9.0. Any tips?

Also, as you might have guessed, I’m not very proficient in command line or composer. I’m curious about this: the composer.lock file has a listing for pantheon-systems/terminus that says version: 1.9.0. What’s that? Is this the result or the cause of the failure to update?

TIA!

What is your obfuscated root dir if you run terminus self:info?

Is this what you mean?

If you look in /<redacted>/terminus/ you should see a compser.json, does it contain the following:

{
    "require": {
        "pantheon-systems/terminus": "^2.0"
    }
}

If so, you should be able to composer update from that directory, if not it may be a little old and you may need to composer remove pantheon-systems/terminus; composer require pantheon-systems/terminus as per https://github.com/pantheon-systems/terminus#installing-with-composer

1 Like

@jfoust, thanks so much for following up on slack. Together we got it updated.

For those following along at home: my composer.json had this:

{
  "require": {
      "pantheon-systems/terminus": "^1.9"
  }
}

I edited to “2.0” then reran composer update and got the new version of terminus. As jfoust suggested, removing and reinstalling is also an option.

1 Like

I’m glad you got this sorted out. For additional context, using Composer is great if you’re installing Terminus as part of a composer-managed project, or are already using Composer for global installation of tools.

The other option for Terminus 2.0 and above is to remove the Composer install, and re-install using the Terminus installer PHAR available on GitHub. The downside is that you may need to use root permissions to install to the default directory (if on Linux), but the upside is that you can then upgrade at any time with terminus self:update.

1 Like