Pantheon Community

Taking a leap of faith here-an Outsider

My name is Abhi. I joined this group a month or so ago. The reason was to find a word press community for exchanging ideas on website creation and design. However, it seems that there is so much more to learn and interact with some amazing members. I am learning so much about the Pantheon and I hope to get acquainted with Drupal as well.
My degree is in Materials Science with specialization in metal deformation at a crystal level. I am accustomed in using scanning electron microscopy SEM and finite element analysis using ABAQUS, fortran and python.
With Covid looming large, I spend my time reading fiction novels (currently reading Los Alamos, by J. Kanon), watching Netflix shows like The Queen’s Gambit and Cobra Kai, and walking.
Ask Me Anything!

3 Likes

Hi, Abhi! Welcome!

My questions for you:

1. What are you hoping to use WordPress for?
  2. Favorite novel? I’m a big fiction reader as well.

Happy Wednesday!
Tara

2 Likes

Thanks, Tara.

1. Right now, I am doing it as a hobby.

2. I love everything written by Agatha Christie!

2 Likes

Hi Abhi! :wave:

Thanks so much for sharing more about yourself! We are super excited to have you here!

Woooow that is so fascinating! Can you share a little bit more about what you have learned about Electron Microscopy? This is a first for me and I am intrigued!

I am also binging on The Queen’s Gambit :clap: Surely makes me want to pick up Chess as a hobby!

2 Likes

You can use electron microscopy to see things at 10,000 and higher magnification. It is used for surface topography studies of any material, elemental detection (what elements are present and how much of it is present in the material), and other structural details. Since it is analyzing the surface of the material, we can’t find much information about the bulk.

Another show I want to watch is “Dark” a German series on Netflix (I watched the 1st season).

2 Likes

Welcome Abhi! I’d love to hear what you think is the most interesting thing you’ve seen in a microscope. I haven’t touched a microscope since high school science but it’s so interesting to me to see how things are made on the smallest levels

2 Likes

Thanks for asking, Katie!
Though I am in the field of metal analysis, the most interesting thing was to see a live butterfly inside a microscope, which flew away after we looked at it inside the microscope. The type of microscope I am referring to is called environmental electron microscopy. We can analyze stuff, not under high vaccum, but at room pressures.

You know, I have not read any of Agatha Christie yet but it’s definitely on my short list – which one should I start with?

1 Like

And Then There Were None is a classic!
Murder of Roger Ackroyd is another one.
ABC murders is something I personally like.

1 Like

Hi Abhi, I used to use SEMs and TEMs when i worked at a semiconductor fab to improve yield results. My undergraduate research work was focused on using parasitic capacitance of digital substrates as analog filters for signal enhancement. Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

Wonderful!
I used TEM as well in the past!
I have some level of authority in using EBSD[https://nano.oxinst.com/products/ebsd/]

I am very glad to have found this wonderful community as I am trying to venture into the programming world.

1 Like

Hello, Abhi! You have a fascinating background. What’s your favorite character on Queen’s Gambit? I personally love the coolness of Benny Watts :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for asking. I think I liked the Mom’s character as it had some personal arch and who found joy and a purpose later in her life through her adopted daughter.

1 Like

Thanks! I am lit!

1 Like