Pantheon Community

Multivariate and A/B Testing in Drupal

Hi everyone and Happy New Year! We’re just getting started with a new project to do multivariate and A/B testing on some of our Drupal sites and was wondering if anyone else has experience in this arena?

I’ve started experimenting with Google Optimize and it seems to work really well to show/hide things on a page or change colors / text / CTAs. It seems to work well with Drupal blocks which will most likely be our main use case. I haven’t yet explored Optimizely, but apparently its one that is recommended as well.

One thing that has become apparent is it seems that it will require a lot of coordination between the Drupal side (what blocks are placed where, what changes will be made) and the setup of the “Experiment” in Google Optimize.

I’m happy to expand on what I’ve learned if anyone is interested.

5 Likes

Haven’t done this yet but would like to. Following!

1 Like

@CodeChefMarc this sounds great; I’d love to hear more. Don’t have a ton of experience myself.

1 Like

Thanks for the interest! I’m still learning this stuff, but it’s fascinating. I’m planning on doing a mini write up of my experiences and I’ll share it here soon!

3 Likes

I’m almost done putting together a document on my experiences with Google Optimize as well as a step-by-step of the process. @sparklingrobots, is this something I can put on Pantheon documentation? It’s not really Pantheon specific, but does talk about integration with Drupal. I’m also happy to host this on my own, but thought I’d ask here first.

1 Like

Ooh, that’s a promising idea! I’ll let @carolyn, our amazing docs manager, chime in when she gets a chance.

1 Like

Hi @CodeChefMarc! Alex here, one of Pantheon’s technical writers. We’d love to publish this sort of documentation, and credit you of course. Here are some links to help you get started:

• Our Style Guide covers all our components and formatting, as well as the voice we try to use in our docs.
  • The Doc Template is a self-documenting starting point that you can make a copy of, and as you read replace with your own content.
  • If you’re so inclined, you can follow our README file to spin up a local environment and see your WIP rendered in realtime.
  • To provide attribution as the Author you can add yourself to the contributors file, or just tell us what social and site links and avatar you want us to use.
  • Finally, when you’re ready, you can submit a new pull request with your content.

I know that’s a lot, and don’t feel like you have to go through all this. If you’ve already written this out in a Google doc or the like, you can share it with us and we’ll take it from there.

Thanks for your interest in contributing to our docs!

2 Likes

Thanks, @Alex! I’ll take a look at those docs and copy over my writeup there.

2 Likes