Pantheon Community

Genesis Streamline Pro question - how do I change my banner?

Hey Dave! I don’t have too much recent experience with WordPress, but based on the way that banner is structured, it’s likely some custom code in a template php file. I’d see if you can locate a Theme Header file (perhaps header.php) in your Theme Editor and find it in there.

1 Like

@katie.richards maybe some of our heroes can lend a helping hand or point Dave in the right direction? :slightly_smiling_face:

@deBronkart Is it the SuperPatients one?

If it is the SuperPatients banner that is located in the Visual Composer layout inside the homepage. You should be able to use the visual builder to swap that out. If it is a different banner just let me know which one and I can hunt it down for you. Hope that helps!

1 Like

@deBronkart what @sandy said. Also, with a lot of Genesis themes, things are done in the Widgets section of the site. You’d get there by going to Appearance>>Widgets in your WordPress admin.

Keep us posted on how we can help :+1:

1 Like

I can’t BELIEVE that I never came back to continue this. All I can say is that the world was in the process of falling to pieces even before the virus hit - I’ll spare y’all the details and just apologize.

@sandy, no I’m not talking about SuperPatients, I’m talking about this.

I want to replace it with this.

I’m pretty sure this isn’t in Widgets but I’m so grateful for the attempted help four months ago, so I’m going to pursue each suggestion.

1. Couldn’t find it in widgets.

2. But now I’m thinking that it’s not called a banner, it’s the logo

Continuing… I searched “change logo in streamline pro”.

This site is related and says first to go to Genesis>Theme Settings and select Image Logo, which I indeed have.

Then it says to go edit functions.php, which I, um, have never learned to do, so I’ll see if I can learn it now… I have to say I get TOTALLY BAMBOOZLED by trying to remember which of the three Pantheon parallel universes require such things, and it drives me mad every time, with the parallel but different logins. (Dev, test, live)

Continuing…

This video shows, at 0:05, this under Site Identity -

But mine doesn’t have that:

Continuing … I’m thinking it’s time to learn the things that my now-departed helper person used to do!

Okay, I give up for now. I understand the principle of dev / test / live and I have no fear of file directories etc but I have no clue where to find anything.

So, who do I call next? Ghostbusters is a valid answer. Thanks all!

Tagging @sandy @paulkittredge @McKennaR @finchproservices in case anyone has a next suggestion on where I should go :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Did you get the help you were looking for? I am not sure about how to do this but always happy to try & find someone who can answer this for you :slight_smile:

Hi, @McKennaR! I have to figure out how to get this platform to notify me when someone responds - I came back 4 days in a row to check for replies (empty handed) and gave up. Now I see you replied 4 days ago!

No, I have not found any help. If you can offer any suggestions at all it would be much appreciated!

Arg - just discovered Gmail was sending this forum’s notifications into spam! I un-trained it.

1 Like

Oh no! But glad you figured it out :slight_smile: Let me see if I can find someone to jump in & help! Hang tight.

Howdy!

From a quick look at the site that header is hardcoded in the style.css file. I had to open up the file to see that:

Are you comfortable making that change? If not, I can provide you with one possible way of getting that resolved too if you want more details.

2 Likes

Scurrying off to look - what you say sounds distantly familiar - tell me, from what you know, is there any sane reason it would have been done that way?? I’d be amazed if a Genesis theme required editing style.css just to change the logo.

BRB - thanks!

The first thing that comes to mind is that it would be an easy edit on a site without having any experience on how Genesis works internally. I’ve been guilty of that before too :smiley:

There are several quick examples out there that show how to add a header image like that so odds are it was just one of those that was followed.

What I’m thinking would be clone db/files to dev, upload the new image, change the styles.css file with the new path, and then deploy, and clone db/files again back up to test then live. A bit more work but it would at least - for now - get that resolved.

Bingo, that’s it.

Are you comfortable making that change? If not, I can provide you
with one possible way of getting that resolved too if you want more details.

No, I am not comfortable making that change, and I’m freshly reminded of my reservations back in 2016 about being talked into something I couldn’t maintain by myself. But at the time, at least, we believed it to be the only way to have a responsive theme with multiple “rabbit holes” for different visitor personas.

clone db/files to dev, upload the new image, change the styles.css file with the new path,
and then deploy, and clone db/files again back up to test then live.
A bit more work but it would at least - for now - get that resolved.

ANNNNNddddd this would be exactly what I was just talking about that I don’t really want to do :slight_smile:

Is there a modestly priced way to get myself out of this one?

Quickest solution might just be renaming your new one to the current and uploading the image to the wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ folder.

3 Likes

oooohhhh… I’m vaguely recalling something about FTP from long long ago. Yes?

(I used FTP back when it was the newest thing in town, the sort of thing IT jocks got really excited about … used the CuteFTP client a while later … but it’s been a long time. I’m sure I could re-learn it. )

Is that the idea?

Yes, that would be the idea. These are the steps you would follow to accomplish this.

1. Download FileZilla.
  2. Log in to your Pantheon Dashboard.
  3. Follow the Developing on Pantheon Directly with SFTP Mode documentation to a) put your Development Site into SFTP Mode and b) get your SFTP Connection Information.
  4. Take your SFTP Connection Information, and follow the FileZilla on Pantheon documentation to connect to the Development Site.
  5. Make the desired changes via SFTP. In this case, Jose is suggesting that you rename the new image file Banner0819-560x119.jpg and upload it to the wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ folder, replacing the old image.
  6. Continue to follow the SFTP Mode documentation and commit the SFTP changes made in the previous step.
  7. Clear Caches on your Development Site, following this Clearing Caches documentation.
  8. Check the change on your Development Site. If everything looks good, then follow the Pantheon WebOps Workflow documentation to promote the change from Dev to Test and then from Test to Live. If you need to make additional changes, go back to Step #5.
3 Likes

[UPDATE 8:45pm ET - the day got away with me so I did not try it mid-day - will try late this evening.]

[I’m saying this because the thread is marked solved and I haven’t actually tried yet… sorry…]

This is so generous of you, @JQTNguyen. Thank you so much. I will try this in a few hours after meetings finish.

All, does this have a file library where a procedure like that can be saved, for re-use by future visitors?

Thank you again.