Pantheon Community

Early Access to Drupal 9.0 with Integrated Composer!

In case you hadn’t heard, Drupal 9.0 will be released on June 3rd, 2020. Drupal 9.0 is the culmination of years of work by thousands of people that updates Drupal’s underlying dependencies (hello Symfony 4.4! Hello Twig 2!), removes several deprecated API functions in favor of better options, and allows everyone running Drupal 8.8 an easy upgrade path to Drupal 9. In many ways, the biggest deal about Drupal 9 is that upgrading to Drupal 9 won’t be a big deal at all!

And you don’t have to wait until June to give Drupal 9 a whirl! A beta release of Drupal 9 is already available and we are inviting folks who want early access a chance to kick the tires with D9 on Pantheon ahead of its full release. As a bonus for trying Drupal 9, we are also offering early access to test out Pantheon’s new Integrated Composer support. Why worry about running composer install when our platform can do that for you as part of a build step. To participate in our early access program, here are the things y’all need to do:

1. Let us know you want to be involved! Feel free to email me directly (matt@pantheon.io), reply to this thread in the affirmative, or contact your favorite Pantheor for access to our “Drupal 9 Early Access” group.
  2. Once you are added to the group, you can now spin up a new Drupal 9 site with “ic-demo-2020-” as a site name prefix (i.e. ic-demo-2020-matt-d9-test). This will give you the starter D9 codebase and will automatically trigger a composer install plus git commit on site creation.

1. (Optional) Import your existing Drupal 8 site to the Drupal 9 site by copying your DB, filesystem, custom code, and adding your contributed modules/libraries to composer.json.
  2. Go forth and check out Drupal 9! With MultiDev available for all Pantheon users, it’s easier than ever to develop with Pantheon. Please note, for now early access Integrated Composer sites will not be able to be taken live with a paid plan and can be deleted without notice.

Once you get Drupal 9 rolling on the platform, here are a few fun things to check out:

1. Rock that Composer! With Pantheon’s new Integrated Composer build step support, simply commit a change to composer.json and composer.lock and let Pantheon’s build system do the composer install. Check out our early access documentation for Integrated Composer.
  2. Try out Drupal 9 modules! Over a thousand modules are already upgraded to Drupal 9 with more being added everyday. Try installing a few and giving feedback in the Drupal.org issue queue.
  3. Upgrade your Deprecated Custom D8 Code! It is easy to scan your codebase for deprecations and straightforward to upgrade those deprecations.

Afterwards, let us know how it goes playing around with Drupal 9 and Integrated Composer by replying here in the forum. We want folks to kick the tires to give feedback because, in true agile, WebOps fashion we intend to iterate and improve these features through the release of Drupal 9.0 and beyond!

8 Likes

Cat in space DJing with a pizza; it doesn't make sense but is awesome!

Can’t wait for D9 + Integrated Composer. :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Do you want to use our popular Terminus Build Tools to setup Continuous Integration and further customize your deployment process for your new Drupal 9 site?

We have rolled out experimental support for Continuous Integration support for Drupal 9 leveraging the CircleCI platform and our custom Pantheon orb. To get this all rolling, fully install the Terminus Build Tools plugin and enable support for custom Orbs in your CircleCI Organizational settings:

Then you will be able to create a new Drupal 9 complete with a customizable Continuous Integration workflow, go ahead and run this command to make the magic happen:

terminus build:project:create stevector/drupal-9-with-pantheon-orb NEW-SITE-NAME --stability=dev

Please let us know how it goes using Drupal 9 with Build Tools on Pantheon! We have a GitHub issue queue to capture Drupal 9 Build Tools issues and feel free to contact your favorite Pantheor with any questions or feedback too!

1 Like

Please add me to the D9 early access group, thanks!

2 Likes

Please add me to the group. Thank you!

2 Likes

I would like to be included in the Drupal 9 Early Access group.

2 Likes

Hello,
Very interested to test Drupal 9 on Pantheon.
Thank you

2 Likes

Sign me up! Looking forward to using the new system.

2 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

I would like to be included in the Drupal 9 Early Access group. Thanks

2 Likes

@b0b @amykhailova @skenley @wwwahe @jpsalter @diego_delgado You’ve all been added to the relevant group on Pantheon to start trying out D9 + Integrated Composer. I used the email address on your forum account.

I think I’ve gotten all volunteers so far but if I missed you, shout!

2 Likes

Please add me to early access.

2 Likes

@dsquaredb You got access too!

Thanks everyone for testing out Drupal 9 and feel free to keep the requests coming.

Also, for folks who are trying out Drupal 9 feel free to email me (matt@pantheon.io) or reply in the thread with how things are going and certainly any problems you are seeing. We are tweaking our platform, writing our Drupal 9 documentation, and getting it all ready to roll out.

1 Like

Please add me to the early access group as well - can’t wait to try it out!!!

2 Likes

Please add me to the early access group. Thank you!

2 Likes

@ultimike & @nackersa – You’re in! Let us know what you think!

Janet from The Good Place, waving

1 Like

Can you provide more details on the install process? Is this a Terminus thing or UI install? I don’t see D9 as an option in the UI.

2 Likes

@b0b Sure thing. If you want to use the UI, select the “Drupal 9 Early Access” organization when you spin up the site:

Once you’ve done that, you should see D9 as an upstream:

Hope that helps–let me know if you’re still having trouble.

1 Like

I tried using the method of using the upstream provided by the “Drupal 9 Early Access” organization and it didn’t work - kept getting the error:

But, when I forked pantheon-upstreams/drupal-project, and set up my own upstream as part of my organization, it worked.

I then cloned the site to my local and got it up-and-running using DDEV.

Once it was running, I was able to add a module using Composer, commit (just the composer.json and composer.lock) and push it back to Pantheon (along with the composer config version stuff which I don’t normally use). It all worked, so that’s pretty freakin’ great!

What’s the timeline to get this awesomeness out of beta?!

-mike

1 Like