In case you hadn’t heard, Drupal 9.0 will be released on June 3rd, 2020. Drupal 9.0 is the culmination of years of work by thousands of people that updates Drupal’s underlying dependencies (hello Symfony 4.4! Hello Twig 2!), removes several deprecated API functions in favor of better options, and allows everyone running Drupal 8.8 an easy upgrade path to Drupal 9. In many ways, the biggest deal about Drupal 9 is that upgrading to Drupal 9 won’t be a big deal at all!
And you don’t have to wait until June to give Drupal 9 a whirl! A beta release of Drupal 9 is already available and we are inviting folks who want early access a chance to kick the tires with D9 on Pantheon ahead of its full release. As a bonus for trying Drupal 9, we are also offering early access to test out Pantheon’s new Integrated Composer support. Why worry about running composer install when our platform can do that for you as part of a build step. To participate in our early access program, here are the things y’all need to do:
- Let us know you want to be involved! Feel free to email me directly (email@example.com), reply to this thread in the affirmative, or contact your favorite Pantheor for access to our “Drupal 9 Early Access” group.
- Once you are added to the group, you can now spin up a new Drupal 9 site with “ic-demo-2020-” as a site name prefix (i.e. ic-demo-2020-matt-d9-test). This will give you the starter D9 codebase and will automatically trigger a composer install plus git commit on site creation.
- (Optional) Import your existing Drupal 8 site to the Drupal 9 site by copying your DB, filesystem, custom code, and adding your contributed modules/libraries to composer.json.
- Go forth and check out Drupal 9! With MultiDev available for all Pantheon users, it’s easier than ever to develop with Pantheon. Please note, for now early access Integrated Composer sites will not be able to be taken live with a paid plan and can be deleted without notice.
Once you get Drupal 9 rolling on the platform, here are a few fun things to check out:
- Rock that Composer! With Pantheon’s new Integrated Composer build step support, simply commit a change to composer.json and composer.lock and let Pantheon’s build system do the composer install. Check out our early access documentation for Integrated Composer.
- Try out Drupal 9 modules! Over a thousand modules are already upgraded to Drupal 9 with more being added everyday. Try installing a few and giving feedback in the Drupal.org issue queue.
- Upgrade your Deprecated Custom D8 Code! It is easy to scan your codebase for deprecations and straightforward to upgrade those deprecations.
Afterwards, let us know how it goes playing around with Drupal 9 and Integrated Composer by replying here in the forum. We want folks to kick the tires to give feedback because, in true agile, WebOps fashion we intend to iterate and improve these features through the release of Drupal 9.0 and beyond!