Pantheon Community

Best / Preferred External Git Tool?

We all use a variety of tools to track our repos externally. Which do you prefer and why?

• GitHub
  • Bitbucket
  • GitLab
  • None?
  • Other?
1 Like

I use GitHub mainly out of inertia. I think every project at my last job that used an externally hosted git repo used GitHub. All of Pantheon’s public repos are on GitHub. All my personal project are there. I’ve toyed with Bitbucket and GitLab as part of training and consulting engagements but not much else.

Even for the Drupal modules I maintain I use GitHub as the place where the changes happen and just mirror to Drupal.org. Maybe Drupal.org switching to GitLab will change that.

I’m (maybe paranoid) not as excited about MS buying Github as others, and I already think they’ve made some opaque changes to their pricing model that aren’t the best…

Combined with my grudging - dragging my self through the mud - acceptance that JIRA is a fantastic tool, I’m starting to look at bitbucket as a github replacement – mostly for the very powerful integrations out of the box with Jira.

With that said, the vast majority of my projects are small enough that I gladly/happily use Pantheon’s GIT hosting.

1 Like

Because my projects are all small and open-source (aka the free plan is fine) I find myself appreciating the improvements made to the GitHub UI since the takeover, despite my distaste for M$. As with Steve, inertia keeps me there.

A former coworker of mine has launched SourceHut as a fully FOSS tool for code management and social collaboration. I’m very interested in this idea but haven’t tested it myself yet.

We use BitBucket, mainly because of unlimited private repositories, and as an educational institution, we get an expanded team size and storage. Our university does maintain a GitLab instance, but it’s pretty feature limited.